THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone besides me still moly coating bullets?
 Login/Join

<gone hunting>
posted
i've been moly coating for 4 years now.
i've found most of the the hype was just that, hype. being able to shoot all day without cleaning is the bigest asset for me.
barrels on my 6mmx284 and 22x243imp last about 1000rds longer as well.

------------------
born on a mountain, raised in a cave, hunting and fishing is all i crave!

one of us
posted Hide Post
my father moly coats his silhouette rounds. he says the coating reduces pressure beasue it kills the friction of the bullet leaving the barrel, slicks it up if you will.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
GH - While I do not mess with the moly kits, I still use moly in several small bore target and varmint guns. I have attempted to use moly on my medium and big bores with no luck. While it is no cure all for accuracy, it does have some benefits for high volume guns.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Krakenberger>
posted
Anyone ever using MS. MOLY anymore?? I think I still have a can left!! I do still use the midway system for coating hunting bullets for my wby rifles. It does seem to cut down on fouling and make cleanup easier.

<BMG>
posted
I use it for by 'big stuff'.40 & up in the rifle department. It really helps on the BMG gain velocity for tighter groups from the 1000yd line.

I use Midway moly in one of their tumblers with about 2 cups of corn cob media and a tablespoon of moly running all night long.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had no use for moly until I tried it in my 300 RUM. I had problems with copper fouling at the muzzle and accuracy decreased after 20 rounds. The moly has extended accuracy between cleaning and decreased fouling. I noted about a 30 to 50fps drop in velocity with the same powder charge. I doubt it will extend barrel life in this rifle and has not improved accuracy from a clean barrel. I had no change in fouling in my 220 swift or 243 and found no other benefits in those rifles.

Posts: 95 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 23 March 2001Reply With Quote
<J�rgen>
posted
I still coat all my new bullets no matter
what caliber.It`s almost a no-cost option
and my results are very good , besides I like
the sexy looks of those black bullets in
freshly polished cases !
Until anything better (no not NEW !)is coming
along I`ll keep doing it.