Find
Notify
Tools

The Greatest Range Report
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
dancingIn the .308 I was useing 20.7gr. of Blue Dot behind 7 different bullets.They all did better than 1 1/2" at 100 yds.

A 110 gr. RNSP yielded a 3 shot 1/2" group at 100yds. and wonders will never cease the 150gr. FMJBT Golden West got a 4 shot 1/2" group at 100 yds.

In the 6.5X55, a 140 gr. psp Rem. using CBC cases , a215 primer and a crimp at 3.175" oal, was pushed with loads of DP85 starting at 41.5gr. and ending at 44gr. The 41.5gr load had a velocity of 2500fps avg.The 44gr. load yielded a velocity of 2650fps avg.and a group size of 1/4" at 50 yds.

So why is this the greatest range report?

I reached under the table and got my gun case for the .308 and stowed the rifle away. I did the same for the 6.5. I than reached down for the chronograf case handle and stoped, 4 to 6" away from my hand was a rattle snake that had nesseled up to the case. I slowly withdrew my hand while takeing a halting step to the rear.

The snake did not strike!!! That's why it's the greatest range report. I can say that I wasn't scared the whole time---But I'd be lieing. dancingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Damn

Be careful out there!

Nice shooting, as always... Damn

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Whoa...what a close call. Glad that snake was in a peaceful mood today.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
That's too close, roger. Eeker

We have lots of rattlers in S. Tx. and fortunately most are more interested in getting away than making trouble.

Here is one of the "good" ones.

And the "big" one that got away: Frowner

Glad your experience turned out OK.

Regards,
CD

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello hm1996,
Got my hm in '95. Not many around these days you know. Did mine the old fashion way, w/ irons. Seems like the sport is dying off these days and guess it is more work than the young crowd wants to put out. Seems like the F class is taking over and I have yet to do that type of shooting.
Anyway, that seriously was not a rattler track you are showing is it?? I have seen some really big rascals down Mexico way several years ago. Like the man said, have a care. Favor Center!!

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Hi dsighteman: Yep, seems like lots of younger shooters don't stick with it long enough to make the grade. I used a mod. 70 (30-06) w/Redfield International irons....good thing I made the cut in '96 as my eyes gave out shortly thereafter. I tried the F class, but didn't care for it much, but that was just me.

The snake track is either a rattler or a blacksnake as nothing else gets that big down here. The nearest fence post was between 3.5 & 4" at the base to give an idea of the size of the print. I followed it to a big brush pile and decided I didn't need to know that bad. Wink

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Looks like the tracks big Georgia rattlers leave in sandy paths.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
...reached down for the chronograf case handle and stoped, 4 to 6" away from my hand was a rattle snake that had nesseled up to the case. ...
I keep telling folks to just leave the chronographs at home Big Grin and enjoy the shooting. animal

I do carry a fine old revolver with Speer Shot Capsules loaded with some ancient Lead #7 shot (not that woosie #7 1/2 stuff Wink) in the first two cylinders, just for Snake Dancing. They do some interesting wiggles once the music starts.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
DAMN.... Close one there Roger... I keep my eyes open here in the AZ desert for sure... They not only get big but there are several different species...

Glad you got away with one....

By the way, how long did it take to retrieve your equipment ???

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can say that I wasn't scared the whole time---But I'd be lieing.

Bet you had to place a towel or something on the driver's seat for the ride home Big Grin

Glad you came out ok.

Did you kill him? How many rattles did he have?

It is an eery feeling. 3 Years ago while working in the woods I stood next to a 3 footer coiled up about 6" from my boot for 5min before I ever spotted him. Didn't even have my snake boots on. Just glad I didn't step on him.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SShooterZ
posted Hide Post
This is one of the few times I can say I'm glad I live in Illinois. Eeker

Nice shooting too! mgun

*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#
I'll never be able to give back to this forum all that I've learned from it. But I do want to thank those of you that have helped me out over the years.

Posts: 167 | Location: McHenry, IL | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:
quote:
I can say that I wasn't scared the whole time---But I'd be lieing.

Did you kill him? How many rattles did he have?
Reloader

NO! Relocated him into a different area.He was not very big and I wasn't thinking of counting rattles at the time. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger,

You be one lucky guy!!!!
I'm betting your adrenaline got elevated!!! Big Grin

Don

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
Roger,

You be one lucky guy!!!!
I'm betting your adrenaline got elevated!!! Big Grin
Don

Still is. shockerroger

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, if you guys think Roger was scared, just think how that poor snake must have felt, being that close to Roger!! dancing

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2ndtimer:
Hey, if you guys think Roger was scared, just think how that poor snake must have felt, being that close to Roger!! dancing

clapNice touch ! thumbroger

one of us
posted Hide Post
January 2005 in South Texas--crawled across the ranch road as we were taking a drive around the place. A .357 in the head at 3' did the job. Skinned and quartered, frozen for later cooking, with the hide in the freezer as well, awaiting tanning.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a276/dustoffer/snake1.jpg

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of KennethI
posted Hide Post
quote:
dancingIn the .308 I was useing 20.7gr. of Blue Dot behind 7 different bullets.They all did better than 1 1/2" at 100 yds.

A 110 gr. RNSP yielded a 3 shot 1/2" group at 100yds. and wonders will never cease the 150gr. FMJBT Golden West got a 4 shot 1/2" group at 100 yds.

In the 6.5X55, a 140 gr. psp Rem. using CBC cases , a215 primer and a crimp at 3.175" oal, was pushed with loads of DP85 starting at 41.5gr. and ending at 44gr. The 41.5gr load had a velocity of 2500fps avg.The 44gr. load yielded a velocity of 2650fps avg.and a group size of 1/4" at 50 yds.

So why is this the greatest range report?

I reached under the table and got my gun case for the .308 and stowed the rifle away. I did the same for the 6.5. I than reached down for the chronograf case handle and stoped, 4 to 6" away from my hand was a rattle snake that had nesseled up to the case. I slowly withdrew my hand while takeing a halting step to the rear.

The snake did not strike!!! That's why it's the greatest range report. I can say that I wasn't scared the whole time---But I'd be lieing. dancingroger

Which range did this happen at?

Posts: 238 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KennethI:
Which range did this happen at?

Angeles Range in Little Tujunga Canyon. beerroger

One of Us
Picture of KennethI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Angeles Range in Little Tujunga Canyon. beerroger

Eeker I go there once in awhile. I'll definitely be more careful about that! I've seen deer run out onto the range but never snakes.

Posts: 238 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote