Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Lee press, help me choose
 Login/Join

posted
I am thinking about getting into reloading. I plan on reloading 9mm, 38 spcl, and ocassionally 300 win mag.
For my first press I'm thinking of the Lee Anniversary Kit or LEE DELUXE TURRET PRESS KIT.

Please help me decide... Smiler

Thanks

one of us
Picture of arky65
posted Hide Post
I, purchased an anniversary kit for my second home, it works fine. I have ahard time with my old eyes reading the scale so bought a used 505. If you are going to load alot o pistol the turret may speed things up.

arky65

people that trade freedom for security become slaves

Posts: 245 | Location: arkansas/louisiana | Registered: 31 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of glockmeister71
posted Hide Post
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=317831

If you can afford it,I'd get the Classic Cast.If you can't swing the cost right now,go with the Anniversary Kit you mentioned.You can always upgrade later.

Posts: 145 | Location: Knoxville,TN. | Registered: 12 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the anniversary kit to get started. You'll also need to get the dies for each caliber, as well as the shellholders (Just get the little pack that has 11 different ones, it's cheaper in the long run). I'd also recommend a different tool for chamfering the case mouths than what is included. Get an RCBS for that b/c the included one will not only wear out quickly, it will also score the body of the case very lightly on the .300 mag. You'll also need to get case length gauges for the calibers you're loading (don't know about for the pistol, haven't loaded those). I'd also recommend getting an RCBS primer pocket cleaner (brush style). To speed things up a bit, get an electric screwdriver for trimming/chamfering. The shellholder that you use with the case trimmer will fit into those. You can also use steel wool at this point to clean/polish the cases.

One other pointer...if you can, get some regular bolts, nuts, fender washers, and lock washers to mount your press to your bench. The lag bolts included with the press don't go very deep into the wood and eventually will work loose.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I started out with an anniversary kit, and it's a great way to get started.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My first press was the Lee Classic Cast press, it's a great press, but I started reloading for lots of calibers and switched to the Classic Turret which is a cast press also with all steel linkage. For less than $90 shipped from Grafs, it's a great way to go for multiple calibers since each turrent can be set up with dies and be switched in a second. Extra 4-hole turrets are $8 at Cabelas. Be sure to watch the videos at the Realgun link.

http://www.grafs.com/metallic/product/55276

http://leeprecision.com/html/catalog/turretpress.html#ClassicTurretPress

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started with the Lee Anniversery Kit several years ago. It has served my needs perfectly. I recenty broke the press and replaced it with the Classic--it is a much better press. I load 38/357, 22Hornet, 223, 45 Colt, 7.62x25 and 25-20.
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
The Lee Clasic cast is a better press but, the Lee Anniversary Kit is a good starter kit for someone who wants to get started at low cost and you can add better components as you go. I have one of the Challenger Presses that comes in that kit, I use it sometimes when traveling and it works fine.

I use the Classic Cast for most of my loading and I rank it about the same as I'd rank a Rockchucker. It's a darn fine press for the money, much better than some presses that cost much more.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just getting into reloading? Consider buying a press that will last a lifetime, like a RCBS Rockchucker or even the two Jr. presses I have had for 45 years......cast iron frame, indestructible, company still in business, lots of accessories....what more could you ask for? r in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Cabelas has the anniversary kit for about $70 and the turret kit for abouty $80.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I'm not a Lee fan but if you are thinking of psitol calibers, the Turret will give you more rounds per hour & is also fine for rifle rounds.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Anniversary kit.

Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Get the green one with "R.C.B.S." on the side... Smiler

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 22Rimfire
posted Hide Post
I would second the opinion on the green one RCBS and if you have to have progressive go blue. Dillon.
Bought a Lee one time but did not like it.
I have a cheap Partner press that has loaded 1000's of rounds as well as 2 Dillons that stay set up in specific loads.

JM2CW

Ignore your rights and they will go away!

Posts: 149 | Location: Talkeetna Alaska | Registered: 13 September 2006Reply With Quote