THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    looking for a website will all powder chemical informations

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

looking for a website will all powder chemical informations
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
any hints on that website.

thanks alot.

Posts: 1878 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to a powder manufacturer's site and look up the MSDS - material safety data sheets.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
but there is a website i lost the link where you have all the info and even a picture of most of the reloading powders on the market.

Posts: 1878 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
Ain't none.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Here is what powder is made from; Nitroglycerin and cotton. Use Ether as a solvent. If you are going to make some, I am glad I don't live next to you.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
that's cool. I was looking for that too.

thanks

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there is a book, "the chemistry of powder and explosives," which is very informative. it is dated, but still interesting.

ETA: if you want to make smokeless powder, it does not seem that simple. the early factories had a bad habit of blowing up. it took the europeans a while to make it safely.

One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Here is what powder is made from; Nitroglycerin and cotton. Use Ether as a solvent. If you are going to make some, I am glad I don't live next to you.

Actually single base powders like 4895 ans 4350 don't contain any nitroglycerine. They use a less energetic Diphenylamine or Dinitrotoluene sometimes in combination with nitrophenylamine.

Nitroglycerine is trinitroglycerol - the extra nitrate makes it more volatile. It is used in the making a double based powders like Winchester ball powders and Hodgdon 414, HP38.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You caught me on that one, my making stuff up I mean.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cowboy_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PaulS:
Actually single base powders like 4895 ans 4350 don't contain any nitroglycerine. They use a less energetic Diphenylamine or Dinitrotoluene sometimes in combination with nitrophenylamine.

Nitroglycerine is trinitroglycerol - the extra nitrate makes it more volatile. It is used in the making a double based powders like Winchester ball powders and Hodgdon 414, HP38.

Really? My chemical engineer brother and I were looking at the data on the above site and it was his conclusion that the chemicals you list were decomposition products of nitrocellulose produced in the gcms, but he isn't an expert on propellant chemistry so we could be wrong ...

Posts: 164 | Location: Northern Indiana | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Diphenylamine is a stabilizer as I recall. Dinitrolouene and centralites are retarders.

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
The Manufacture of Smokeless Powders and their
Forensic Analysis: http://firearmsid.com/Feature%..._gunpowder/index.htm The chart above identifies the primer mix chemicals, the suppliers to ATK, and the country of origin. All 13 chemicals for primer mix are formulated by U.S.-based commercial companies, but 10 chemicals have origins outside of the United States. Of these 10 identified chemicals, 4 have origins solely in China, 2 others are only found in Mexico, and 1 is only found in Brazil. Three other chemicals share origins among the United States, European countries, India, China, and Mexico. http://www.almc.army.mil/alog/..._smallarms_ammo.html

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeez I hope no Iraq guys are tuned in here! shocker

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
It is not the formula for nuclear bomb. Iraq has been making its basic munitions for a long while. Same for Iran etc..

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
With the Internet, there are NO secrets! Hackers.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote