New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wanted; 22-K Hornet Load Data
 Login/Join

<Ben H>
posted
I just had my Ruger .22 Hornet reamed out to the K chambering and need some data. I have a healthy supply of Hodgdon 'lil gun powder I'd like to use but have not bought any bullets yet.

Please let me know what your using and how it shoots.

Thanks,

Ben

<George Capriola>
posted
Hello Ben,
I don't have a K-Hornet, just a regular one. I use Hodgdon's Lil'Gun, with very good results.
There are a couple of articles in Small Caliber News, Fall & Winter editions (2000), which go into the .22K-Hornet in some depth, with all sorts of data and testing.
From what I see in glancing through the article, the author (Harold Miller) used 12.5 through 13.5 grains loads of Lil'Gun. Lil'Gun seems to have given the highest velocities, but the author found best accuracy at 100 yards with AA1680. Mostly I see data for 37-grain Calhoon bullets, and 40-grain V-Max bullets.
I've gotten very good results with the 40-grain Hornady V-Max, but I've found the Berger 40-grain MEF's significantly better than the Hornadys, which says a lot!
I haven't tried AA1680 yet, but I plan to this fall. I know, with Lil'Gun, the case won't hold enough powder to develop dangerously high pressures.
I've also seen best accuracy with Federal #100 small pistol primers, but haven't heard of them used in the K-Hornet.
Good luck, George.

[This message has been edited by George Capriola (edited 06-19-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ben:

I just recently acquired a K-Hornet built on a Ruger 77-22 with a Krieger rebarrel. I have just begun to work with it and have thus far only worked up some fire-forming loads. A Sierra 45 grain semi-spitzer over a full case (unformed standard hornet) of IMR 4227 gives excellent accuracy and about 2700 FPS in my K-chamber.

I'll be interested to hear what others' experience has been with the K-Hornet. Remember, super velocity is not what the Hornet is about -- you could easily move up to the larger centerfires for that. Accuracy with mild report are the hallmarks of small centerfires, so I'd rather have less velocity and more accuracy that give up a half-minute for 200 FPS.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot mostly Hornady 35 and 40gr VMax out of my K77/22H. Have had some luck with AA1680, 14.5gr with 35grVmax with Rem 7 1/2 br primer. Also with 11.5-12.0 gr of H4227 with above bullets. Pleasant to shoot, acceptable accuracy, I'm satisfied.
Good luck, Bill

Posts: 165 | Location: Adams, NE USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try "Big Stick" on the Big Game board at www.24hourcampfire.com

I think he's been out of town lately may take a little while.
Mike

------------------
Victory through superior firepower!

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote