New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Remington 25 cal bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a very old box of Remington 117 gr. SPCL .25 cal. round nose bullets that are in a red box. There is also a big number "25" on the end of the box and B22742 DIAM.257. Cost from the old sporting goods store was $4.15! They came from an old reloader friend (recently deceased) who had a stash of various .25 bullets. I bought the whole mess pretty cheap including some original Nosler solid bases.

I would assume the SPCL stands for soft point core-lokt but the "CORE-LOKT" trademark is not on the box.

Are these bullets constructed about the same as they are today - jacket thickness, etc. I think all Rem. has ever made in .257 are round nose and I was wondering if they changed them up any. These are bound to date back to the '60's. I have other bullets to hunt with but sometimes like to use some of the old stuff - nostalgia I guess. I'm sure they are adequate for practice, small deer and pigs but if the old ones are not constructed so well I would like to know. I also have some old DuPont 3031 (not IMR) that I thought I would propel them with. I know its not the best powder but that is what Rem started the Roberts with. Nostalgia again. Is the Dupont faster burning than todays IMR 3031? Thanks for any advice. Merg

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If these bullets have a cannelure then the cL stand for cannelure. Of coarse these bullets were fine then and still are good,and of coarse they didn,t have the designs as some now days. These bullets were designed for reloader who reloaded for the 257 Roberts and the 250 Savage(250-3000).van

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These bullets were also loaded in the .25 Remington. As to construction, they are simply cup-and-core bullets and are excellent for game like whitetails at velocities of the .257 Roberts and less.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, Van, yes they do have a cannalure. Thanks, that clears things up for me. I will most likely use them for practice and nuisance beavers. But if some critter makes an unexpected appearance I just wanted to know what to expect out of the bullet. Merg

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Merganser, Van "may be" absolutely correct, but I'd bet on Core-Lokt.

In fact, those may be old enough that they were made with the "Wasp Waist" which has a noticably thicker Jacket Wall about half way up from the Base. If so, you have some of the finest Standard Grade Bullets ever made - for Hunting!

In order to find out if they are the Wasp Waist design, you would need to "Section" one of the Bullets - lengthwise. Just rub it on some coarse sandpaper and go slow so you don't accidentally sand your fingers off. Wink

If you happen to work where Destructive Sampling is done on PCBs, the QA Lab will have special equipment to actually mount the Bullet in a Sample Cup, grind it down and then Polish it with Diamond Paste.
---

If on the other hand they are not Wasp Waist, they are still pretty good Bullets - you just found the Silver Mine instead of the Gold Mine.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Hot Core, I have a reloading neighbor that makes knives and about anything else and he's got all kinds of sanders and polishing wheels. I'll go and get him to section it and save my fingers! He's retired and likes doing that kind of stuff.

Thanks for the tip. I would have thought if they were Core Lokts, it would be printed on the box somewhere. Merg

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only "Wasp Waist" bullets I ever saw were Herters. Didn't know Remington ever made any.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eddieharren:
The only "Wasp Waist" bullets I ever saw were Herters. Didn't know Remington ever made any.

He's referring to the interior of the bullet. The way the jacket is formed, if you could remove the jacket without damaging the lead core, the core would have a wasp waist. The exterior of the bullet would look like any other normal bullet.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eddieharren:
Thank you Eddie and Paul! Had a Senior Hour(longer than a Moment).

Help me out here, were the Remingtons called "Inner Belted"?

When you get old, some things begin to fade if you don't think about them for a long time.

Best of luck to all you folks.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote