THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    .300 win mag after 15 shots opened up like a softball

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.300 win mag after 15 shots opened up like a softball
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted
I put a new VARI-X III scope on my .300 Win Mag yesterday and went out to shoot. I lapped the rings and bore sighted it and was 4 inches high and 3 inches right on first shot. This is a new rifle with about 5 rounds through it. After 5 shots i am in the bull, I change my target at 100 yds and fire a 5 shot group that is sub 1" with 150grain Remington Core-Lokts factory ammo. I walk down and change target and shoot another 5 for 15 of the box and it is tighter than the first. I'm thinking spectacular for factory ammo! I go change my target again and shoot the last 5 and the group opened up to 4" plus softball size and is a round circle pattern! I did not clean barrel during this 20 rounds and consisted of approx 30-40 min. Barrel was pretty warm after last 5. Could this be fouling? When i mounted scope i put a fine pencil mark at front and back of rings on scope and on dovetails front and back of mounts so i could see at a glance if anything moved and that is fine. Also after last group i slid a dollar bill along barrel to see if i had pressure anywhere and that was fine as well. This drove me crazy last night!

Posts: 442 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could be fouling. Especially in a new rifle. Clean it up good and try again.
FYI, it ain't gonna take many boxes of that store bought ammo to equal a nice entry level reloading kit. Wink

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
I have all the stuff and do reload, I have (er had) 2 boxes of core-lokts(now 1 box left) i was shooting up for the brass.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
scope mount is loose.. likely bases

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
Nope, checked em. Rings and bases are tight.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bum scope?

Check with a collimator.

Maybe loose bedding screw?

One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
I suppose thats possible. Just because it's new don't mean it's good i suppose. Whats the best way to check for that if it gets knocked off every shot? Given that the first 15 shots were spot on and the last 5 went all over i sure won't rule that out. Didn't think of that. If i put my boresighter back in and it's way off i should be able to see if somthing's a miss shouldn't i?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would clean it and try again.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, you are going to have to get a base-line with the collimator, shoot it until you get wide shots, then check it again.

One of Us
Picture of IanD
posted Hide Post
Did you let the barrel cool completely between strings?

Posts: 366 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ingvar J. Kristjansson
posted Hide Post
Don’t worry about it...the same happens to my Sako 300wm...nothing unusual...It only need good gleaning. After every 10-15 shots you must clean the barrel well to keep the group sub 1”.

My buddy shots a Sako TRG in 300wm and he is shooting some incredible groups at up 500 metres and he cleans the barrel every 10 shots to keep a good accuracy .

Posts: 510 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
Still trying to get back out, It snowed like the dickens all day today. I'm hoping to shoot a box tomarrow.

one of us
posted Hide Post
off topic but I'll tell you I often, with standard cartridges, bought loaded ammo and fired it to save the brass. if it wasn't a big difference in cost over buying the brass itself. nice with a new rifle to know you're shooting ammo that overall is going to give at least average accuracy versus me developing a load at the same time I'm sighting in.

of course now I couldn't afford that, load everything!!!!

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote