THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: QuickLOAD help with heavy 45-70 please?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Yeah, smart all right.
I was chuckling to myself, thinking about the bullet hvoering above the case by 1/3".
So, the pressures should be a bit higher for a 2.6" COL than what we see here.
Has anyone heard of QL being less accurate with straight-walled cases?

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You didn't mention your powder preference, so I did a run with IMR 3031 and used CIP instead of SAAMI: < !--color--> 32k psi pressure limit < !--color-->

518 gr bullet:

42.5 grs -> 31.5 kpsi, 1630 fps, 3060 ftlbs

550 gr bullet:

40.0 grs -> 31.6 kpsi, 1550 fps, 2960 ftlbs < !--color-->

Please start with a tamer load, and using the data is on your own risk - I do not want to be liable for any typos or misinterpretations causing the loss of your rifle or your head.

Please watch out that you get the CD version from NECO - refuse the disk version.I happened to talk to Mr. Br�mel, the author of the program, yesterday: the newest QL version is on CD only.

I write this because I bought the RCBS software last year which arrived on discs and it is defective. RCBS says their lifelong warranty applies not to software but they are willing to send me the CD version when I send them disks plus $30 - which settles the total price of the software in a hardly attractive area.

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm salting away for the QL program, but until I get it, I'd just love if one of you kind folks could help me figure something out.
My father has a new 1895, and has a 518g FNGC cast bullet he wants to work up loads for.
He's been shooting it in an H&R sinle shot, but with a very different COL and pressure max.
The bullet is about 1.24" + a hair, COL is right at about 3.6" and he's looking for powders in the "up to 40k psi" range. (26" bbl, BTW.)
Any help would be so appreciated. Truly. No one seems to be using this weight, and so data is scarce to say the least.
Also interested in what a 550g (1.32" long) would do at same Pmax.

Please send all comments regarding safety of P levels, wisdom of such a heavy bullet, etc., to forum administrator for processing.

Thank you!!!!

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I forgot to mention:

As QL is a smart program, it showed a negative seating depth, and calculation was done with an OAL of 2.675".

And another thing: QL lists a pressure limit of 28k psi for SAAMI specification !

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote