New
Find
Notify
Tools

AA#7
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am thinking of using this on some pistol loads and was wondering how it runs through your powder measure. I have some military surplus that uses AA#7 data but it wont run through the RCBS powder measure that I have . The flakes are too large and thick.Thanks.

Posts: 129 | Location: colorado | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim:

You didn't mention what caliber/weight you were reloading for. I use AA powder exclusively and I have found that AA#5 is a better choice for moderate pistol loads and AA#9 is far superior for heavy pistol loads. My opinion on AA#7 is it probably could be dropped from their product line. Just my opinion.

Ryan

Posts: 425 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
<stans>
posted
I have some AA#7, but I have never found a good use for it. AA#5 and AA#9 seem to leave no gaps in the velocity range, so why #7? I think it was developed specifically for military use in the 9mm.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use AA #7, got a good deal on it.
for the 9mm i use 8.5 gr with a 124gr bullet and for the 357 i use 9.5gr with 158 gr bullet.
Both of these are quite accurate in my guns.

I use a RCBS Ammo master and have never had a problem with this powder metering right.
Wes

Posts: 330 | Location: Oregon, U.S. of A. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of using this powder on some 9mm loads with 124 gr bullets, 357 mag loads with 158 gr. bullets and 44mag loads with 240 gr. bullets.

Posts: 129 | Location: colorado | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Dyno>
posted
Jim,
The powder that you refer to is not an AA powder,it is just compared to AA#7 for burn rate.
I buy powder from a surplus supplier that has a thick flake said to compare to old AA#7 powder.
Accurate Arms says that AA#7 powder has always been a fine flake powder.The AA#7 was originally for nato 9mm carbine ammo,I use this powder for 40S&W mostly and some 357 mid-range loads.I use a lot of AA#5 and WC-820 (surplus powder) which loads and looks just like AA#9. All AA powders go through my Dillon ,Lyman and RCBS powder measures just fine.If you have already purchased it just ,your RCBS should handle it by cutting those large disc or flakes just like cutting extruded powders ,it just won't be fast as measureing ball powders.

Hope this helps.
Dyno