New
Find
Notify
Tools

.30-30IMP from .375WIN
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Who does this and how many dies do you use?

I was thinking .358, .323, then final pass through a .30-30 before fireforming.

one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
BTDT - one pass in a .30-30 FL or NK die does the trick. The 15.5 deg shoulder is shallow enuff that you don't have to worry about buckling or collapsing the case like you would on a 20 or 25 deg shoulder.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make sure your .375 brass is rounded up with an expander so it has no dents or dings at the case mouth. Make sure you do not over lube. If you get dents take it in stages. I know a guy that went this route to make thick necked cases for a .30 Herett.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Size the case first with the seating die with the seating plug removed. I've never had a problem buckling the 375 brass in the imp die doing it that way.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a lot of work to me.

Back in the early 1960s when I had a .30-30 Improved I made my brass rthe easy way.

I'd load up whatever new or used .30-30 brass I had on hand and shoot it in my rifle.

Never had any chambering, pressure, case loss, or any other problems doing it that way.

Would trim to length after the first firing, just to make sure the end of the brass was a nice even OAL all the way around the end of the neck, mainly for future crimping purposes.

Worked for me.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Back in the early 1960s when I had a .30-30 Improved I made my brass rthe easy way.

I'd load up whatever new or used .30-30 brass I had on hand and shoot it in my rifle.

Never had any chambering, pressure, case loss, or any other problems doing it that way.

Would trim to length after the first firing, just to make sure the end of the brass was a nice even OAL all the way around the end of the neck, mainly for future crimping purposes.

Worked for me.

What AC said...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:

Worked for me.

I'll do it the easy way too for ammo to be shot in Lever Action Silhouette but for 150gr TSX-FN loads I'm going to use the heavier .375WIN brass.