Notify
Tools

RCBS Press Opinions+Questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got me a nice RCBS Big Max (A4) Press,
and I was wondering if any of you guys had ever
used this press. I have not set it up yet ( remodeling my reloading area, er, room...
(I wish...)But after examining it, it looks like a well thought out, pre-64 Model 70 type press.
One feature that I had questions about was the long arc that the handle travels in, compared to the short travel of my RCBS JR press. I am looking to have a complete set of accesories for this press, in case I ever sell it, and I am looking for a manual and the green box that comes with the press (I think RCBS calls it an "Ammo Catcher Box") If any has one they don't want and would like to sell , reply to this message, send me a private message, or E-mail me. A friend of mine is looking for a box for the original RCBS Reloader Special, for collector purposes(not the RS-2 ,-3, or -5). He is kind of a nut when it comes to collecting old RCBS presses, and especially wants an RCBS A-2 Press if anyone has one they don't want.

Reloader-1

[ 12-26-2002, 10:40: Message edited by: reloader-1 ]

Posts: 270 | Location: Central Pa | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Call RCBS on their 800 # and ask them. They may direct you to Huntingtons but it's free.

My primary press is an A2 and it's not for sale.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
The "Big Max" was discontinued a long, long time ago. I have had one since it was first marketed, and love the hell out of it.

RCBS still has parts available (I recently needed to replace a few after thousands of rounds).

It is without a doubt one of the "strongest" presses ever available, and is excellent for loading large cases and reshaping cases for wildcat cartridges.

The only thing I don't like about it is the manner in which spent primers are "collected"...that little plastic cup that fits on the bottom of the ram has a tendency to keep falling off...

I do have to admit, however, for run-of-the-mill loading I prefer the Rock chucker.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,
Nice pages, I just had one question: Why do you use your other press for "run-of-the-mill"
loading? (I ws just thinking, maybe there is a little press mannerism you don't like or something, and I would appreciate more info) Thanks...

reloader-1

Posts: 270 | Location: Central Pa | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
And now we must ask -

Where did the phrase and meaning of "run-of-the-mill" originate?

Inquiring minds [Confused] want to know!

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote