New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case Lube Newbie Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am going to neck-size with a Lee Collet Die, bump shoulder with a Redding Body Die, and seat the bullets with a Redding Competition Bullet Seating Die.

Can you recommend which lube is required for these dies??

Thanks so much!

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Imperial with the Redding body die, nothing with the other two

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Joe!

You do use neck lube (dry?) when seating the bullet...correct?

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Imperial

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Imperial

+1

Hornady's Unique works pretty good as well.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
coffee Bardahl ! beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All commercial case lubes work quite well when used correctly. What is the best choice for anyone is his preference for method of application and, if needed, removal.

I hate lube pads becuse theysoon get nasty and I hate sprays because of the cost and mess of over spray. I love finger applied lubes because it's quick to apply, clean and easy to remove if I bother with that. The soft waxes such as Imperial and Unique suit me perfectly.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

I wasn't sure about lube in the seating die

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim C. <><:

I hate lube pads becuse theysoon get nasty

Confused?????????? bewildered roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ingwe623:
Thanks Joe!

You do use neck lube (dry?) when seating the bullet...correct?

No. The insides of the neck should be clean and free of any kind of lubricant.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've lube pads that I've used for years and years. how do they get nasty? lubing 1500 cases for a pdog shoot one at a time using your fingers, seems like it'd be kinda tedious.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Imperial wax for me!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
lubing 1500 cases for a pdog shoot one at a time using your fingers, seems like it'd be kinda tedious.

No matter how many your loadin' or what for, if applying Imperial/Unique/etc is "tedious" you're doing it wrong. Touch the tips of your lefty thumb and first two fingers to the lube and twirl lube on the cases between picking each one up and placing it in the shell hoder for sizing. It takes very little time once you get it right and you can't lube on a pad any faster. And wax is much cleaner to deal with than any foul grease/oil on a pad.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I don't think you can beat Lee Case Resizing Lubricant.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Hornady One Shot spray. It's worked well for me. I'm going to try some of the Dillon case lube on the advice of a couple friends.

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim C. <><:
quote:
lubing 1500 cases for a pdog shoot one at a time using your fingers, seems like it'd be kinda tedious.

No matter how many your loadin' or what for, if applying Imperial/Unique/etc is "tedious" you're doing it wrong. Touch the tips of your lefty thumb and first two fingers to the lube and twirl lube on the cases between picking each one up and placing it in the shell hoder for sizing. It takes very little time once you get it right and you can't lube on a pad any faster. And wax is much cleaner to deal with than any foul grease/oil on a pad.

This was pretty much hypothetical on my part since I've still got a full bottle of RCBS lube. Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote