Find
Notify
Tools

Source for Norma and RWS bullets?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted
I am looking for Norma 232 grain 9.3 mm bullets, and RWS 193 grain 9.3 mm bullets (or other light 9.3 mm bullets). Does anyone know of a source? I need light weight 9.3 mm bullets for a double that was regulated with 12.7 gram bullets, and has a slow twist. It shoots the old 250 grain Speer great (left and right touching at 40 yards), but I have a very limited supply. Anything heavier or longer does not stabilize well The Nosler 250 BT's are longer than some 286's, but stabilize marginally at the higher speeds-they just don't group as well as the 250 Speer.

I have ordered RWS 193 grain bullets from Old Western Scrounger, but I haven't heard from them yet as to availability. I also know that Hawk lists a 200 grain 9.3 that I might try. I contacted Dynamit Nobel-RWS in New Jersey, but they only sent a catalog and it does not list bullets for reloading.

Please help!!!! [Frown]

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I posed a similar question a few postings down. I emailed Grafs & Sons, who supposedly are the primary Norma distributor/supplier in the States, and was told that they DO NOT special order any Norma ammo or reloading supplies...so much for good customer service! I also saw the RWS 193 gr bullets for sale at Old Western Scrounger, but at $50 per box, I'll let those go. There are a number of heavy weight 9.3mm bullets out there, Nosler makes a 250 gr BT and 286 gr PAR, and Speer their 270 grainer, but nothing on the lighter side. I think the 9.3x62 will slowly gain popularity in the States and sooner or later one of our domestic bullet manufacturers will take notice.

Posts: 92 | Location: Tracy, CA | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
E-mail sales@groovebullets.com and tell Don what you are looking for. I'm going the other direction heavier but, some lite weights would be great for plinking.

one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
JKuczmarski,
Glad to see that someone else is looking for light weight 9.3's. If I come across anything I will post it here. Looks like I may have to go with the 200 grain Hawks, since I won't be using it on anything larger than deer.

Coondawg,
Thanks, but the monometal bullets tend to be long for their weight. Since I have a slow twist barrel I would have to go with a very light weight bullet to maintain stabilization. Good idea though [Smile] .

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

If you haven't yet, check out the Hawk Bullet's website at www.hawkbullets.com. They have the 9.3mm 200 gr that you mentioned and also a 9.3mm 235 gr. Price runs about $30 per 50 which isn't bad.

The S.D. of the 200 gr bullet is about .213, which is equivalent to a 100 gr .257 or a 120 gr 7mm. Should be perfect for deer hunting. I'm gonna get some!!

Joe

[ 07-26-2003, 08:36: Message edited by: JKuczmarski ]

Posts: 92 | Location: Tracy, CA | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen
I have used Hawk bullets on deer and pigs out of two of my doubles.
In my 450/400 I used 300gr Hawks with the .025jkt. Velocity @ 2300fps. These bullets have given good penetration, some all the way through others trapped by the hide on the far side. They expand fully to a very large diameter, not much of the shank is left.
In the 9,3x74R I have used 285gr. .035jkt, velocity @ 2400fps. These bullets have penetrated just like the 300gr. .408 diameter with the shank of the bullet being longer. Both of these bullets have expanded to a large diameter and have knocked most of the animals down upon impact.
I thought this info might help ya'll decide on which jkt thickness would be best for the velocities of your rifles.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote