Find
Notify
Tools

356 winchester cases
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 6_5X57
posted
I have a lot of troubles to get 356 win brass, but I have no difficulties to find 307 win brass. Can be formed 356 brass from 307 brass?
If it is possible, Have I to carry out any special operation, (e.g. inside or outside neck trimming...)?

Thank you in advance for your advices.

Posts: 152 | Location: Almeria (Spain) | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i read an article about the .356 and .307. the writer said his rifle would feed and eject .358 and .308 winchester brass just fine.no personal knowledge,though.

Posts: 28 | Location: northlake,texas | Registered: 04 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
I would think a good lubing inside the neck of the 307 Brass and running that over your 356 expander button carefully, your problem would be solved. I have also used a very nice tapered .338 Hornday expander to step brass up from 308 and then finished on my 358 expander for the Whelen.
Try some and see; maybe the above process will be all you need or you might also need fire forming for your rifle.
dmw

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As Fury says, they will neck up just fine. If you have an intermediate expander button (like 8mm or .338), then you can do it in two steps which will usually result in more uniform case necks. If you can get a tapered expander that's even better.

There should be no need to trim or thin the necks, but it is best to start with new rather than fired brass since new brass will have slightly softer, more ductile necks that will more readily expand without splitting.

As M. Carroll says, your rifle will probably feed and eject regular .308/.358 Winchester brass just fine. If it will, there is no advantage to using the rimmed brass since this cartridge headspaces on the shoulder, not the rim.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I've got a couple boxes of new unfired Winchester "white box" I'd part with.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Sorry. Spain? Not certain I can ship it

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6_5X57
posted Hide Post
Jeffeosso:

Thank you for your offer, but as you suspectted, it is almost impossible to send anything related with ammunion to Spain (including bullets) without a import permission.

Best Regards

Ignacio Colomer

Posts: 152 | Location: Almeria (Spain) | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
You can form .356 from .444 Marlin cases too.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote