Find
Notify
Tools

I need to make a small hole in a small animal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello

I'm getting ready to go on a hunt and the size range will vary from Kudu to duiker. It's the duikers I'm worried about blowing a huge hole in one species which is very expensive and the other is common duiker. The rifle will be a 30-06. I don't reload so I need your help. I thought about army surplus FMG but I'm not sure where to get it. Can you get solids for a 30-06??
Any advice?
I'm a taxidermist and I will be mounting them full body.

Posts: 344 | Location: Elkin North Carolina USA | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest a smaller caliber for the smaller animals. I'm afraid any factory ammo for a 30-06 would be pretty destructive on the little guys.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
I have 28 FMJ 150 gr. .308 bullets I'd be happy to give you if that would be enough. These have a light crimp ring and are flat base bullets.

I also have several hundred 147 gr. fmj bt bullets w/light crimp ring that I would part with for $15.00/c + actual postage. These are either Winchester or IMI, don't know which as I have purchased both and they come in unmarked boxes.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wildlife

Standard GI 30-06 should leave only a 30 caliber hole in small thin-skinned animals. After all, that is what it was designed to do.

You should be able to find a few boxes of surplus stuff somewhere. Some of the bigger dealers like Midway and Cabellas used to carry it and they may even have new made cartridges too. Just avoid anything made before 1960 or so, since it will be corrosive.

I'd be more concerned about travelling abroad with military ammunition. Many countries frown on this, for their own misinformed reasons.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know some calibers are not allowed in some countries but I don't think South Africa will be a problem.

Since I can't reload I will try to find some surrplus ammo.

Posts: 344 | Location: Elkin North Carolina USA | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Midway seems to have a bunch in stock:

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?cat...&numberOfResults=500

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
Why not just get some Barnes TSX loads. I use a 300 win with 180 gr TSX on tiny whitetail and they pretty much leave a .3" hole through and through. Maybe they open a bit but it doesn't seem like they open much on the small animals.

Posts: 468 | Location: Tejas | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks I will try some of the FED and UMC.

I have a klipspringer to mount now that was shot in to with TSX. It's a great bullet, maybe one of the best but if you had to do all that sewing you might not like them Lol.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a thought on the fmj on the little antelope.I have shot a ton of jackrabbits with military ball and if shot behind the shoulder they often run for over a hundred yards.
Depending on the thickness of the brush where you will be hunting I would sure shoot for the shoulders.
A jack shot through the shoulders with a fmj will usually hump up and fall over, shot through the chest cavity and sometimes they sill make you think that you missed them.

(When I was a kid my father used to tell me that God hated a coward, I finally realized he has even less use for a fool.)

Posts: 887 | Location: Northwest Az | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If your outfitter is based in South Africa, PM me his contact details and I will get 20rnds of 30-06 to him for the Duiker. Our GSC 145gr FN is often used for the small 5 and works well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I shot my duiker I used a A-Frame 168g soft and the exit hole was no larger than the entry. Guess that the animal was to frail to cause the bullet to set uo.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a 160 grain TSX on my Steenbok, and it was a mess!!!!

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerard gives good advice. His bullets are great. Basically, any solid (FMJ) would do. My personal thinking (and Gerard would crucify me for this Wink) is to go for a heavy round nose, that won't be as inclined to tumble as the military spitzers.

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Rikkie,
A heavy (long) roundnose or non deforming spitser would be more inclined to tumble than a short FN. The gyroscopic stability of the short bullet is much higher and results in good transition from flight to tissue. No defelection on impact and shoulder stabilisation from there on, gives linear penetration, small holes in skin on both sides and very much messed up insides. Tumbling bullets are not good news and result in ugly exit holes.

We have a number of professionals that are opting for short, fast monos for close up work, especially in bush. They have fewer failures.

Against conventional wisdom? If you use lead core bullets, yes. If you use monos designed to work in a specific manner, no.

We have discontinued our 160gr 7mm HP mono for this very reason. It tumbles too easily on impact and then things go south more frequently. Recently a customer with a slow twist 7x64 had iffy results (high meat damage) on a couple of Blesbuck with 140gr HP bullets. We went to the 120gr HV and the difference was remarkable. More take home meat and more predictable terminal performance from the word go.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerard,

Glad to see you took my bait! Wink Are you well?

What you say, is of course perfectly correct (in theory). However, my own experience with 300gr RNFMJ Hornadys in my .375 has always been .375" holes on both sides.

Then again, I shot a big Eland a year or two back with your excellent 270gr FN. It was a raking shot from behind, and guess what - .375" holes front and rear. Go figure.

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
I've never seen such sensitivity to small holes. Usually a good taxidermist can take care of just about any explosion delivered with modern bullets.

Posts: 468 | Location: Tejas | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wildlife Artist:
Hello

I'm getting ready to go on a hunt and the size range will vary from Kudu to duiker. It's the duikers I'm worried about blowing a huge hole in one species which is very expensive and the other is common duiker. The rifle will be a 30-06. I don't reload so I need your help. I thought about army surplus FMG but I'm not sure where to get it. Can you get solids for a 30-06??
Any advice?
I'm a taxidermist and I will be mounting them full body.

Get as close as needed so you can hit them and shoot them with a 22 LR between the eyes.

Make sure the outfitter has an accurate, scoped 22. Or take your own.

It is more than needed for klips and duikers.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19367 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Get as close as needed so you can hit them and shoot them with a 22 LR between the eyes.

Only two problems with that: It is not legal and "Get as close" on African antelope is frequently way out of range of a 22 Rimfire anyway. If you travel halfway across the world to do something, use the right tools to get the job done.
Wink

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Hooey. The typical scenario in SA is hunting on a farm. The game is typically not spooky. There are no game scouts or wardens.

All the outfitter/farmer/etc. has to do is declare the game is to be cropped. Ding! Use a 22 LR. And leave a big enough tip.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19367 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wildlife Artist ; Do you reload ?. If you do , remove a few FMJ projectiles and reload them . For accuracy !. Or purchase Paper punching Boat tail projectiles , which don't expand .

It's what I used in my 7 Rem Mag !. I can't stress accuracy enough !. Their Small targets and generally don't set still !!!. I found the pic of the Dik Dik which is smaller yet .

Note the spot below his eye that's a 7mm hole it went out behind the base of the left ear . I was aiming for the Eye . Which are replaced any way !. I would guess 160-180 Yd. as Nobody measured any of the shots on that Safari .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will,
Pardon my uninformed opinion. I have only been hunting Africa since 1958 and you obviously have shot more African plains game than the thousand or so that I have. My observation of several thousand head of game shot by friends and customers also does not match your extensive experience observing how game animals react and behave here.
Smiler

All it takes is one sour grape and you have trouble. Use the right tools.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gerard

I will be hunting in KwaZulu-Natal in between Mkuze and Hluhluwe.

Is this to far from you?

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wildlife Artist:
Gerard

I will be hunting in KwaZulu-Natal in between Mkuze and Hluhluwe.

Is this to far from you?

Then you CAN use the 22 rimfire Will suggested.

Distance there are extremely short clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68771 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Saeed

One of Us
posted Hide Post
why are you now asking this over at mausercentral?

http://www.mausercentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=191607#191607

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to get all the info I can. I thought it would be a good place to do it because some of them shoot fmg in that caliber and they would be able to help me and sell me some if I go that route.

I say this in good spirit but did I do something wrong about asking a question on another forum? I'm just trying to get help.

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
Id keep asking till I get an answer I want.You did nothing wrong.
I found some 180 fmj rounds for sale at sportsmanguide .com.This link http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=148320 should take you to it.If not ,if not,go to their website and look for- ammo-30-06 -
sellier and beliott .14.77 for 20 rounds.Item # WX2-85642 You should be able to get express shipping to get it in time.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks jb for your help and taking the time to reply and supplying the links.

Steve

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
not a problem.good luck,get out there and start collecting thumb

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you have learned what you needed here. you can find or order the ammo if you want. but you keep asking a private party to sell it to you.

it seems as though you are insisting on a personal sale when it is not neccesary, or the fastest, or even the easiest. it strikes me as odd.

here is a link to a variety of 30-06 fmj ammo that midway will deliver to your door: fmj 30-06

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wildlife Artist,
You have a PM.