Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loading .380 ACP with 9mm Luger dies?
 Login/Join

posted
Can you use 9mm Luger dies (Lymans, with carbide sizer) to reload .380 ACP?

I've been reloading for 48 years and it surprises me that this hasn't come up before with me. I've owned .380's for decades, but have never in the past shot them enough to think about reloading for them. But, with the poor availability of ammo now, it's becoming a more and more attractive thing to reload for .380.

Posts: 2 | Location: Northern Missouri | Registered: 17 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
nope you can't enough different they well not work

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
nope you can't enough different they well not work

tu2 Nope what p dog said.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
The .380 has a straight walled case, the 9 Para case is tapered.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! In the dim recesses of my mind, I thought that you couldn't. Y'all confirmed it.

Posts: 2 | Location: Northern Missouri | Registered: 17 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I the dim recesses of my mind I think that you can just about get away, as very much a one off, with either a 38 Special or 38 S & W sizing die (I forget which you'll need to check similarirty of dimensions) and seating die from same and then, only a very small part way down use a 9mm sizing die to give a taper crimp effect.

It is not a long term solution! Or even medium term! But for say six or a dozen rounds to try a gun for accuracy and function before buying a PROPER sized die set you might just muddle through.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well a 380 case is straight .375" end to end. A 9mm case is .38 at the mouth and .392 at the base. I need to run a 9mm case in my carbide die and get measurements.

I thought I remember running a 380 into my 9mm die by accident and not getting proper sizing. But I'm going by memory and it is before coffee

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote