New
Find
Notify
Tools

280 AI RL22 loud report
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have never used RL 22 before and decided to try some in my 280 AI. It seems to make a lot more noise then some of the other powders that I have tried. Is this common with this powder?

Posts: 89 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 21 July 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i have found, sometimes, that LOUD sometimes means powder burnt outside the barrel

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39577 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, the powder doesn't actually "burn outside the barrel" in that powder combustion, even with very slow powders, takes place in only the first few inches of barrel. However, the slower the powder the higher the muzzle pressure (with equal chamber pressures). If muzzle pressure is higher, then muzzle blast is necessarily louder.

Depending on which powders you are comparing with, and the pressures generated by those powders, it might be your imagination, or you might actually be experiencing more muzzle blast. I'm quite certain that I get noticibly more muzzle blast in a .17-223 with BL-C2 than with a couple of faster powders.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
However, the slower the powder the higher the muzzle pressure (with equal chamber pressures). If muzzle pressure is higher, then muzzle blast is necessarily louder.

I agree with the first part 100%. As to the second. That has always been my ASSUMPTION.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Well, the powder doesn't actually "burn outside the barrel" in that powder combustion, even with very slow powders, takes place in only the first few inches of barrel.
with respect, this statement is false. in fact, MOST loads burn a trivial amount outsideof the barrel, however, things even like h335, h110, and the slower reloader series absolutely DO NOT consume all the powder inside the barrel.. sometimes to the tune of great than 10%. this is a common measurement in QL, as we aim for the most burnt powder in the barrel.. higher than 98% is usually quite good.
quote:

However, the slower the powder the higher the muzzle pressure (with equal chamber pressures).
very valid point
quote:

If muzzle pressure is higher, then muzzle blast is necessarily louder.
soemtimes - or more powder burnt outside the barrel results in a louder report - h335 is a fantastic example .. or, the sage advice on BP rifles... when it goes from boom to crack
quote:

Depending on which powders you are comparing with, and the pressures generated by those powders, it might be your imagination, or you might actually be experiencing more muzzle blast. I'm quite certain that I get noticibly more muzzle blast in a .17-223 with BL-C2 than with a couple of faster powders.

blc2 is too slow for the 17-223 ... and you aren't burning all your powder, as well as having (potentially) a higher muzzle pressure.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39577 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
My Sako L61R 280 Ackley Imp is 13 years old. I found Re22 disappointing but R19 was fine. VV N160 is a good powder too. But the best I found for 160gr bullets is VV N560. IMR 4831 was my old favorite but burns dirty & varies with temperature.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11201 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Given that I've been reloading a long time and have disposed of a moderate amount of powder with a match I am yet to hear any 'blast' effect from burning outside a barrel, no matter the burn rate of the powder.

Ergo, I think it's safe to say any powder that gets tossed out a barrel doesn't contribute to the racket we hear even if a little of it should ignite.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Given that I've been reloading a long time and have disposed of a moderate amount of powder with a match I am yet to hear any 'blast' effect from burning outside a barrel, no matter the burn rate of the powder

I've always ASSUMED the difference in flash and BLAST between my 2.125" and 6" 357s were the powder buring outside the barrel. If you don't think the powder buring outside the barrel is the cause what do you feel it is?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey WoodElf, That is an indication the specific Powder has reached "one of" it's Upper Limits. In your specific situation I'll "guess" the Bullet is too Light-Weight for that Powder, in that length Barrel. Change Powders or Bullets.
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
...If you don't think the powder buring outside the barrel is the cause what do you feel it is?
It is the Unburned "Gas" generated by the Powder reigniting as it reaches Oxygen. Apparently the Bullet being used is too Light for that Powder which causes the Pressure to drop low enough to extinguish the Powder Burn - while the Bullet is still inside the Barrel.

In fact, some Powder Granules may be blown out of the muzzle. And if you catch some on a Sheet you can tell their Color has changed.

But, the temp of the Gas is still sufficient to reignite once the Gas reaches Oxygen, as the Gas follows the Bullet out of the Barrel.

Wrong combination of components being used.

Best of luck to the argument. tu2 BOOM

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Best of luck to the argument

No arguement from me. As I said all my thoughts are ASSUMPTIONS. Just curious what others felt. So would not unburned gases or unburned powder igniting outside the barrel pretty much be the same thing? For what ever reason, too slow powder, too light a bullet, too short a barrel something is igniting past the end of the barrel making a BANG & FLASH.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
Best of luck to the argument

No arguement from me. .... Just curious what others felt. So would not unburned gases or unburned powder igniting outside the barrel pretty much be the same thing? ...
Come on Ted, I know you can argue if you want to. Big Grin

No "feelings" to my post, just FACTS. tu2 patriot

Un-Burned "Smokless" Powder will fall out of the Barrel with some mix of Components, but it can't Ignite because no Pressure is present to release the Gas. It can Burn(different from Ignite, meaning Burn is slower and less intense) if a Fire of some sort is passed by it though.
-----

By the way, you did a fine Paint job on that Stock. tu2

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim C. <><:
Given that I've been reloading a long time and have disposed of a moderate amount of powder with a match I am yet to hear any 'blast' effect from burning outside a barrel, no matter the burn rate of the powder.

Ergo, I think it's safe to say any powder that gets tossed out a barrel doesn't contribute to the racket we hear even if a little of it should ignite.
Jim, I appreciate your accurate observation, but when folks like some of those who have posted on this thread have convinced themselves of a notion, no matter how absurd, they're not going to relent. I'm astounded at the news that powder gas "reignites" when it is exposed to atmosphreic oxygen. This is great news to over 100 years of studies of chemistry and ballistics and something which should be headlined in 36-point type in tomorrow's newspapers.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
.. I'm astounded at the news that powder gas "reignites" when it is exposed to atmosphreic oxygen. ...
I'm not surprised by your lack of knowledge. tu2