New
Find
Notify
Tools

55 grain hornady sp not spsx performance
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looks like I've found a bullet my ruger hornet likes. I'm shooting a hornady spsx at 2,500 and getting decent groups. I think if I measure each load I can get them down even better. I'm going on a javelina hunt this March and would like to use the this rifle. The sp's are identical to the spsx's except with a thicker jacket so I was thinking of using the sp if they will hold together. Does anyone have performance experience with the 55 gr. hornady sp's on an animal this size?

Posts: 125 | Location: Coalgate, Oklahoma | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always followed the Hornaday specs when I was using the spsx bullets, they alwways exploded on Woodchucks, so I would expect they would make surface wounds on a tougher critter like a Javelena. Any bullet with a stronger jacket would be preferred to a spsx.
LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have experience with the spsx's I was wondering about the sp with a thicker jacket. Both bullets have the same specs.

Posts: 125 | Location: Coalgate, Oklahoma | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think the SP will necessarily blow up at 2500. It is 22-250 bullet. Nothing like the sxsp, but still, it is not a friggin' partition.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used them on fox and Dingo and they went right through. I'd use them on small pigs only I havent caught up with them while carrying the .223Rem. I'm fairly sure they won't blow up at Hornet velositys.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information. I remembered shooting a few coyotes with the sierra 55 gr. HP Gameking in a 22-250 and had exit wounds the size of a 50 cent piece. I'm going to try them and see if they will shoot in my rifle. If not I'll start over with the hornady sp. I shoot the 50 gr spsx in my 22-250 and never had one exit a coyote so I know they are too soft. Excellent hide bullet for coyote if you don't hit a bone.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have loaded 55gr bullets,in mine also,and they have preformed well with yoted,deer,and wild hogs. I also love loading the 50gr Speer TNT HP. van

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load the 55 SPs for my father-in-law's 22-250 at full power and so far they have provided adequate penetration on deer and quick kills, so I think you would be OK. The 60 SPs are a good heavier-game bullet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 55 (and 60) grain Hornady SP's have a reputation for holding together much better than most .224 centerfire bullets. It has been the choice of knowledgeable .22 centerfire game shooters for many years. If it shoots well in your Hornet, it will certainly be as adequate a bullet as you can find for javelina (although the Hornet is a tad light for the little piggies with any bullet if you want them to drop on the spot.)

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote