New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sellier and Bellot
 Login/Join

Picture of bpimpsmoking
posted
I am having a problem reloading Sellier & Bellot brass. The problem is that the Federal GM210M primers will not seat all the way in the case. What size primer is need for the .308 brass?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Sellier and Bellot primer pockets that I have measured are shallower than the US standard.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Pimp I've come to the conclusion that the S&B brass isn't a good one to reload.
I bought 100 rounds of S&B 131 grain ammo when I got my first 6.5x55 and thought I'd burn through it and have some brass to play with. Well I'm finding that one or two loadings and it looks unsafe to shoot, thin in spots, not very reliable. I'm about to trash all mine and go with something else before I have a head seperation. Hope you don't have much invested in yours.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These are interesting replies. My experience with the S&B is that it is my #3 favorite brass for the 6.5x55. After many thousands of rounds, the only brass I like better is the NNY headstamped brass and of course, #1=Lapua. I had never run into a problem seating primers, but I never used that caliber or primers. What I did do was use a carbide primer pocket uniformer first to cut them, and then after each loading to clean the primer pocket. Hope that helps.

Eric

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try a primer pocket uniformer.
Most of the major reloading tool makers have a version. It's a simple flat ended cutter designed to remove the rounded area at the junction of the pocket wall and the bottom or floor of the pocket. It will also remove material from the pocket floor if it is too shallow.They will not enlarge the diameter of the pocket
They are a neat tool and only need to be used once on a case. I use mine to clean the pockets also, just a quick twist here and your done.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the 7.62x54R I've loaded only Winchester primers worked easily.
Uniforming cures that.

Posts: 117 | Location: Darkest California | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Pimp
My apologies to all who read my previous post, I have just found out that my 6.5x55 has excessive headspace and I can't blame that on my S&B brass. Sorry for the insult on S&B's brass it may be just fine for all I know now.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's good of you to correct your post.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of bpimpsmoking
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the great input