New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win. and Rem has tossed Reloaders under the bus
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Winchester and Remington apparently have all but gone out of the brass business, and will manufacture no brass for reloaders for the next 3 years..

My sources who are in the loop, tell me the reason being they make more money through the sale of loaded ammo..I think the "3 year business" is a just a farce to keep old customers on hold, but in truth they are out of the brass making biz...Be that as it may, I will never buy a damn thing from Win or Rem again..I feel like its a betrayal to all of us.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42138 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
It looks more and more that we will have to get back to forming our own instead of being able to buy. I built a 257Rob and was lucky enough to find some used brass. When I contacted Rem and Win a few months ago to inquire when they would be running Rob brass again I was told by both "Not this year".
Looks like an opportunity for someone like Starline to step up.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
If only Lapua would start making belted mag cases . . .

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My sources who are in the loop, tell me the reason being they make more money through the sale of loaded ammo.

So, someone is running a business and can make more money selling a product as a complete package, not as parts and you expect them to sell the parts for your convenience?

When the current "buy ammo" boom cools off, they will almost certainly start selling brass again, until then, I don't blame them for making hay while the sun shines.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yep, they are in business to make money and if they didn't, we wouldn't have anything. The ammo and component hoarding are all contributing to this artificial demand we are seeing over the past 3 years. We will see in 2016 whether it will get better, or worse.

Posts: 17265 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Maybe that is why the new Remington 300 blackout ammo i just bought was loaded with Barnes brass, sure could use some 375 Winchester brass.

Posts: 65 | Location: texas | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yep, they are in business to make money

How dare they. My question is looking at the younger generation and watching how much factory ammo they run through at the range is reloading going to pass with us old farts? coffee

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Who you callin' an old fart? OK, maybe me.

Plenty of guys I know are passing it along to their kids. One guy has pre-assigned jobs for each of his boys. The reward? more range time.

I think loading will endure, if only for those who seek the less common loads.

We'll just have to see where the market and politics takes us.....

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One man's 'hoarding' is another man's 'stocking up'. Depends upon whose ox is being gored.....

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who you callin' an old fart? OK, maybe me.

Only one I'm putting in that bucket is myself. Everyone else will have to make their own determination where they belong. Big Grin coffee

I wish my kids were interested. Maybe the grandkids.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You know hoarding when you see it; buying (and having the money to do so), several lifetimes' supply of primers and powder is hoarding by any definition. I have an acquaintance who is doing just that. It is the guys who can't afford it and those who are reasonable about it who are being gored. Not a good thing for the sport.. I just tell them that I can't wait for their estate sale. And the real problem will be when the demand falls off; which it will ultimately do; what will the makers do then?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Worse are the "Preppers"; they hoard ammo just for trading purposes and have no intention of shooting any of it. I know one of them and she has 100 bricks of 22 ammo and no rifle (I pointed out her flaw there). She said it will be used for trading. I told her that I didn't need to hoard anything; I would just take hers since she had no means to defend it. She just looked at me with a blank stare.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
You aint seen nothing yet

If a Democrat hits the Whitehouse next trip I predict a panic buy of epic proportion

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
In a sense, I agree with Gato.

But, I think these companies are shooting themselves in the foot by picking and choosing which side of the shooting community they are supporting.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68628 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is not my business or your business to determine how much or how little of a product(s) anyone purchases. That is how a free market system works. If you prefer a planned economy, move to North Korea.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ammunition companies have pretty much always hated reloaders. And, bullet casters.

They tend to believe those two intertwined groups are "cheating" them out of ammunition sales.

I just moved to using RWS, NORMA, and Starline for my needs. They are happy to cultivate the reloader market.

The same with firearms sales lately. It pleases me to spend the off season contemplating what sort of 98 or OM 70 I will base a custom on the next year; as opposed to shopping
for anything from any factory. DR's excepted...

It's a reason I love gun shows and 80% lowers so much.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just moved to using RWS, NORMA, and Starline for my needs. They are happy to cultivate the reloader market.

The same with firearms sales lately. It pleases me to spend the off season contemplating what sort of 98 or OM 70 I will base a custom on the next year; as opposed to shopping
for anything from any factory. DR's excepted...

+1

Exactly the same reason I decided to go custom build on my 6.5mm SAUM. No offense to anyone but some of the new factory rifles look like shit, and I'm referring in particular to the Browning X Bolt which has one of the worse looking stocks, the Ruger American and the Browning White Gold which is so bright and shiny you'd spook game 10 miles away.

As for ammo, well Remington SAUM cases are non existent down here in New Zealand, plenty of Norma SAUM brass available and I've never used Remington or Winchester projectiles.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another big reason for nonavailability of ammo and components is the multitude of new whizzbang cartridges that don't do anything that isn't already being done very well.

The manufacturers have to make shorter runs of each cartridge and older, low volume cartridges get put on the back burner, such as 257 Roberts, 218 Bee, 32 Win Special, etc.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1617 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
cycles of "non-supply" are very hard on a market. Once a customer goes away for any reason, they are very hard to "start" back up. The world is full of short term thinking though so no surprise here. I am sure we can pay off that 18 Trillion dollars too with about 20% of the population actually working and producing wealth.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't tell me that this is the same reason why you could not get any Hornady Interbonds or Nosler Accubonds in most parts of the world!

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Wasn't it Hornady that discontinued several bullets a couple years ago because they couldn't keep up with demand?

I guess they should be put on that list, too!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the end,we each make our own list...

And then go shoot our bows more.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I wish I was in charge of the whole world's manufacturing base; I would only allocate items to those that don't piss me off. And production of all short magnums would cease immediately.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
yuck

Graybird

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
In a sense, I agree with Gato.

But, I think these companies are shooting themselves in the foot by picking and choosing which side of the shooting community they are supporting.

FrownerI would like to agree with you but can not. There are far more hunters that use factory ammo than there are reloaders. At the range it is obvious. There are four assault rifles to every bolt action and those guys are using mil. surplus and store bought ammo. Fortunes of war I guess. 2020roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
Dont worry, brass will pop up!
A lot of bullet manufactors will be poor if there is no brass to reload so they will make it happen.
And the powder guys will want your buisness also.

Then again Starline and others will grab the market if it is up for grabs.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the demand is there it will open the door for other companies to get in the game. Nosler brass is good and available. Pricier, but maybe an open market will allow them to come down, and offer more choices.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with a lot of the above. If Remington and Winchester want to act like they're the only game in town, they will soon find out that they are NOT the only game in town. The US automobile industry had to find this out. Maybe the US ammunition industry has the same lesson in store, at least as far as the "big three" are concerned. Xin Loi.

A good job is sometimes just a series of expertly fixed fark-ups.
Let's see.... is it 20 years experience or is it 1 years experience 20 times?
And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
We used to get all our brass to reload from factory rounds. As long as you can buy ammo that fits your chamber, I see no problem.

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barry, with all due respect, would you pay $175 or so for 20 rounds of 458 Lott just so you have the brass?

And when/where did you last see a box of 400 H&H? It has to be bought from the parent company... I don't think so!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hummm? Since the first of the year I have seen more Win in calibers then last year. I can't say about Rem.

Posts: 6 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 19 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The "shortages" have become an industry management now days. Whether that is cars, or ammo, or electric power, or shoes, or vitamins, medicines, and vaccinations, it apparently is here to stay across the board.

Like many of us I mostly use Winchester. I have had a sneaking idea for quite some time that this was going to be true. Whether that came about as a loaded ammo vs components or other corporate decision process you could almost feel it coming especially in Winchester reloading components.

We used to go to the store or online and obtain most Winchester components. Now some of those have been out of stock for years. So while there is hoarding, there is also just no real apparent attempt to catch up on the component side of the business.

I looked at Winchester brass for 45 ACP versus the Winchester loaded rounds. The loaded rounds were only a couple of cents more than the components cost. No brainer to get the loaded 230s and just snag the brass. Besides that Win 45 brass hasn't been in stock in at least 2 or 3 years anyway.

In rifles it is a different story cost wise.

But in powders too Winchester seems to be following the same path. I have seen a little 748 lately but 231 has been gone and remains gone.

In this time I have slid across to Hornady for most of the blasting rounds. And AA powders I am liking a lot better too.

But I still prefer Winchester for the hunting calibers.

One thing that might work in our favor is that many commodities are down, so depending on how these companies stand on contracts and hedges, if they can take material cheap dn roll it out at the same prices, then it may indeed catch up some. If they have the idea that there is gong to be $5 a box 9mm and $12 a box 45-70 again then I suspect the shortages will continue.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
Barry, with all due respect, would you pay $175 or so for 20 rounds of 458 Lott just so you have the brass?

And when/where did you last see a box of 400 H&H? It has to be bought from the parent company... I don't think so!

I understand, there are exclusive needs. Just not ready to "abandon all hope" so to speak, just because we can't have everything, all the time. (Also, I don't really need anything right now and don't feel vulnerable.)

It will change -- probably get better, even. Found my first .416 Rigby brass on sale at 80 bucks a box of 20 African loads way back when. Glad Hornady has empties for 40 bucks a box now. Eventually i'll need 'em for cast loads. No, I wouldn't spring for 240 bucks a box of TBBC or Barnes loaded .416 Rigby for the brass. Double rifle shooters pay that kind of money routinely unless they hand load. Cheers!

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
sigh...
facts needed, not restated rumors

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39567 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I wish I was in charge of the whole world's manufacturing base... production of all short magnums would cease immediately.

Now show us on the doll where the short magnums touched you...

I'm old, crochety and absolutely abhor variety too! We should all just shoot 30-06 and .375 H&H; everything else is superfluous! Ban all cartridges with 404 Jeffry parent case! Boo! Hiss!

Maybe Obamacare can fix your atomic wedgie. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now I know why I have boxes and boxes of brass laying around some for riles I don't even own

Posts: 19572 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Hmmm .... just received an email stating Winchester 30-06, 270 Win, 7.62 Nato and 45-70 brass were now in stock. Seems they are still offering and making brass.

Graybird

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got the same email, amusing that it was referred to as "hard to find brass". But then again, I've always planned ahead in regards to brass.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Damn a company for making a buck. There is enough good brass out there. Other components, too.

I've maintained the position that you should buy enough components to wear out a barrel when you buy the barrel. It's proper planning.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote