Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ADVICE ON RELOADING PRESS PLEASE
 Login/Join

posted
Hi Guys I have a rock chucker press would like a dillon but I do not have the money. I'm looking at a lee classic turret press or a loadmaster press to load 9mm, 40s&w and 45acp would like your advice. Thanks Craig

Posts: 3 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 25 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm looking at a lee classic turret press or a loadmaster press to load 9mm, 40s&w and 45acp would like your advice. Thanks Craig

Not quite sure what you are asking. ???

If you mean which one to get, they both work but the Classic's frame and toggle links are steel rather than alum. alloy. I like that!

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DeerBear 2000:
Hi Guys I have a rock chucker press would like a dillon but I do not have the money. I'm looking at a lee classic turret press or a loadmaster press to load 9mm, 40s&w and 45acp would like your advice. Thanks Craig

Craig,

Welcome to the forum.

The Rockchucker is good; Lee's presses are good (I have two of their progressives, one permanently set up for large primered cases and the other for small, and my Rockchucker as my only single-stage press). The Loadmaster has a good reputation. They are all good, but you will not be happy.

Here's my reasoning.

The upgrade from your Rockchucker to the turret or the loadmaster is not such a large step that you will stop yearning for that Dillon (550 or 650?, though it doesn't matter). You will keep wanting that blue press.

I have said it before (advice #7 of my "10 Advices" for reloaders)

Advice #7 You never regret buying the best (but once)

When you buy the very best, it hurts only once, in the wallet. When you buy too cheaply it hurts every time you use the gear. The trick is to buy good enough (on the scale between high quality and low price) to keep you happy without overpaying.

You are wanting a Dillon. Keep using the Rockchucker and scrimp and sacrifice and save up to get your heart's desire. Don't short-change yourself, and do go for what you want. If you settle, you will want that Dillon with every stroke of the second-best's handle.

Lost Sheep.
Good luck, and don't pinch your fingers in your press.

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
There is no comparison between the Lee press and a Dillon. If you buy the Lee eventually you'll wind up buying a Dillon anyway, so just save your $$ and buy the Dillon. It will be cheaper in the long run. The Square Deal is a good press but is only for handgun ammo. If you ever think you might want to load for rifle cartridges look at the 550B.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2331 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lost Sheep and Labman have it right.
If you "want" a Dillon then save up for it.
I too have used Lee progressive presses. They will do the job. But if you have Dillon on the mind, nothing else will do.
Just another .02,

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I have the Lee, I like it. I still want a Dillon 650. Wanting can be like that sometimes. At the time I bought the Loadmaster I figured I could load 2 calibers for less than the Dillon 550. The Lee is good but if you can save up a couple hundred more go with the 650. By the way, I've seen good deals on used Dillon presses once in a while.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And if you want a Hornady AP, then save up for it.

One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Lyman turret , 1 Lyman orange crusher & a 550B Dillon . save andget the Dillon !

Don't take the chip !

Posts: 578 | Location: PA | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DrWatson69
posted Hide Post
I know you don't want to hear this part, but a buddy of mine give me a dillon 550b that had belonged to his cousin several years ago. The press had been outside in a shed and had rust on it and the primer low alarm was not any good. I have had it for several years and never mounted it or tried to use. THIS WILL ATTEST TO DILLONS WARRANTY. I e-mailed them last March and ask them what it would cost and take to get the press up and functioning again. They e-mailed me back saying that for me to send them $39.95 and the press and they would rebuild or replace the items that needed to be repaired or replaced in order to get it going again. Within two to three weeks I had the press back and it is as good as new. they sent a new primer system, a new powder measure system. cleaned and repainted the frame. I have since mounted the press and finally started using it to load 9mm. I am now in the process of getting what is necessary to load all my pistol loads.
Look on Ebay and Gunbroker for a dillon I don't think you will regret it in the long run. Dillon warranty can not be beat.

Posts: 66 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DeerBear 2000:

So, two years is probably long enough to save up.

How do you like your Dillon? Which model did you get?

Lost Sheep

One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
I have a 550B and had a 650. The 650 is more automatic, but is more expensive and harder to change caliber than the 550B.

I went back to the 550B as it is more fool-proof than the 650. I like the thought of having to manually cycle the cartridges from station-to-station so I can visually inspect them prior to cycling.

Why don't you take a look at the Ponsness-Warren P200 for pistol cartridge reloading. It might be more in your price range.

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't run a Lee progressive if given to me, my time is worth more than the savings over a better press in the 550B. I run a 550B & 650, the 550B really is an easy progressive to get up & keep running, mine goes & goes after some 20yrs now. The LNL form Hornady is a good press too & if you want a case feeder & autoindexing, a cheaper bet than the 650, but not quite as reliable as the 650 IMO. If you don't need much mor ethan 200rds/wk, the LCT does a fine job cheaper & IMO, more reliabley than the Lee progressives.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lost Sheep:
[QUOTE]...

I have said it before (advice #7 of my "10 Advices" for reloaders)

Advice #7 You never regret buying the best (but once)

That should be in every Handloading manual!

It make take some time to decide what "the best" is for you...

But

When you do, save for it and get it...

It is really that simple.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
How that phrase was taught to me was "When you buy quality, you only cry once."

Sometimes it is practical to do, and sometimes it is not so practical to do, but it is always good to contemplate that phrase when you are making a decision about purchasing something.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
save the money, and get a SDB dillion for pistols. this is the best advice i can give you.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a reminder, this thread started two years ago, so suggestions to the original poster (DeerBear 2000) for gear are probably a bit late (though new readers asking the same question would certainly appreciate the thoughts). I reopened the thread because I wondered how the OP fared.

Fredj338, I tend to agree about the Lee Pro-1000 progressive (having no experience with the Lee Loadmaster, but owning two Pro-1000s). I upgraded to a Lee Classic Turret and am MUCH more pleased.

Lost Sheep

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Dillon is a big honking press just to run pistol round through. I would look for something smaller like the SDB and get one in each caliber and just leave it set up.

The bigger Dillons are a better deal for rifle rounds.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
OP hasn't been here in almost 2 years, Aug 09. Lee Loadmaster is a good progressive.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote