New
Find
Notify
Tools

One grain over max?
 Login/Join

<dr280>
posted
I should have asked this with my crimp question, but didn't.
My new "pet load" for my Ruger 280 is IMR4831 pushing Hornady 139gr SST. The only problem(?) is that my load is using 57 grains. That is 1 grain over max from the data I have looked at. I know all rifles are different- but am I looking for trouble when I shoot this summer- there are no problems showing now when I shoot. Here in Michigan it has been around 30 or so. I am not sure if this is going to be trouble down the road or not. Any thoughts?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep!! You're looking for trouble if you worked up that high with temps in the 30's. If you plan to use the load when it's warmer you better drop down a bit and work back up.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Mads>
posted
dr280 - what do you define as being maximum?
If the maximum is a load found in a manual - well then the maximum isn't a consistant term - because they vary from manual to manual! If you don't get any preasure signs in your gun - have you measured case head espansion? well then you gun might have an other maximum load than the one used for the same comibination of brass, powder, primer and bullet in the manual you are refering too!

But any time we reloades cross the manuals maximum load we are in unsecure country! And we msut ask our self do we have to bethere?

some manuals maximum loads have show to me to be to much of a good thing in my gun! Others you can go pase with out any problems!

bottom line only you can tell if your load is a problem!

Regards

Mads

<10point>
posted
dr the first thing you have to ask yourself is ; Is the extra powder worth the risk ? I say that cause I have the habit of eeking out all the velocity I safely can and I have to watch my own habits.

I have found the Speer manual to be about as hot as I should ever go. That said its usually safe, or safe enough, to at least try "minutely over max" in most manuals. You dont state what manual you are loading from. Just by glanceing at your max load I'd guess that you are on a mission to reach 3,000 fps with your 139 grn SST. Correct ?

Speer #12 lists a max of 56.5 grns for its 145 grn .284's. Your load sounds reasonable enough, but only you can tell, as Mads says. And yeah, as Bill says, your pressures will rise with warmer weather.

Keep a close eye on pressure signs, especially sticky extraction and primer pocket expansion.........good shooting.........10

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
If this is a modern bolt action, you might be in luck. The 280 Saami pressure is a little lower than it's brethren, the 270 and 30/06. If the manual holds to Saami maximum, there is a little margin. I run my 280 a wee bit over for that reason. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Dutch, the 280 is centered around an SEMI AUTOMATIC action. The reduced loads were to keep it feeling good. A good bolt action could honestly be brought up to higher pressures..

Warning be safe, only you can see warning the signs!!

Scout..

Posts: 2 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
<dr280>
posted
Thanks for the responses-
to answer a couple of questions,
yes- the rifle is only 8 years old.
my goal for speed was 2900 due to the barrel length of only 22 inches. The groups are an inch better at 57 grains than at 56. The manuals I have looked at are Hornady 5th, and Modern reloading from Lee. I have also researched at ricciardelli's site as well. I am not showing even the slighest pressure signs- and as long as I can hold the 2900 fps and under .5 in groups- I don't plan on pushing it any higher. Thanks again to all- and great shooting. Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's pretty hard to get into much trouble with IMR-4831 and the 280 Rem. 30-06, 270 and the like....

I am a grain or two over max in a lot of my rifles and a grain or two under max in a few...I work them up to real sho nuff max and then back off a grain or two..or to where the accuracy is..I will usually get a extractor mark, then back off 2 or a sticky bolt then back off 2 or 3...

I doubt that 57 grs will make a lot of difference in the the pressure with the load you listed....I shoot 62 grs. of old surplus (OConners load) in my 270 and 60 in my o6 and thats over max and I have shot it in Idaho cold and African heat for 40 years or so.

I have not found a lot of variation from a practical standpoint in weather extremes with the modern powders of today that I use.
but I don't use many fast burning powders.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote