THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    In general faster burn rate equals higher pressure?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In general faster burn rate equals higher pressure?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen ; Indeed dynamite used Saw Dust as a filling absorbent for Nitroglycerine as is the glycerine used to stabilize Nitro . Nitro is two Acids distilled then mixed in a correct order ONE WAY ONLY !.

Substances consisting of liquid organic nitrates such as nitroglycerin or a mixture of such ingredients with one or more of the following: nitrocellulose; ammonium nitrate or other inorganic nitrates; aromatic nitro-derivatives, or combustible materials, such as wood-meal and aluminium powder. Such explosives shall be in powdery, gelatinous or elastic form.

nitrocellulose is Nitro with a Wood or cellulose absorbent base Gun Cotton is another fiber base.

While working for Hercules I mixed slurry , it was extruded onto oil paper in a contiguous roll formed cut and crimp ended .
While loading prior to exploding one uses a wooden Fid to puncture a hole either for det cap or primer cord . Primer Cord is (Hg(ONC)2 along with lead azide, lead styphnate and tetrazene derivatives. which are more stable .

Let us all stick to Reloading sports shall we !.
Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 303Guy:
quote:
Originally posted by ALF jeffeosso
.....pressure has very little to do with MV, rather the area under the pressure curve (work) will.......
That statement is correct. "area under the pressure curve" is the MEAN pressure. Muzzle energy will be proportional to mean pressure and bullet base area. The velocity will then be proportional to the square root of the muzzle energy. Heat and ejecta kinetic energy losses kinda ruin the powder charge to velocity curve a bit.

other than i said it and alf is disagreeing with me.....
sofa

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Smiler I left out the "The logic alludes me ? "Restated. .."" part of Alf's post. Wink I was supporting what jeffeosso said. thumb

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dr.K:
nitrocellulose is Nitro with a Wood or cellulose absorbent base. Gun Cotton is another fiber base.QUOTE]

Sorry Dr. K, but I do not believe the statement in quotes is correct.

Nitrocellulose is any cellulose (cotton linters for instance) which has been "nitrated". That does NOT mean it has ANY nitroglycerine added to it in any way. For many years all nitrocellulose used in the making of military powders in the U.S. did not use wood pulp, only cotton linters, but it was still nitrocellulose.

Though both nitric and sulpheric acids are used in the making of nitrocellulose, the major function of the sulpheric acid is to remove the water from the reaction, IIRC.

Likewise, glycerine is not used as a stabilizer in nitroglycerine. Nitroglycerine is "Nitrated Glycerine", and in pure form is very, VERY unstable....which is WHY dynamite had to be invented to assure the safety of nitroglycerine's use.

--------------------------------
////Original post had an incorrect statement here, due to brain lapse regards info learned 60 years ago or so. So I have deleted it. I referred to Sulpheric Acid and Nitric Acid forming Aqua Regia. That is incorrect, as Roger so kindly reminded me in a PM. You're right, Roger, its Nitric Acid and Hydrochloric Acid, so I have pulled that info. My bad!!////
------------------------------------
Lastly, my statement was that diatomaceous earth was the ORIGINAL absorbent in dynamite. Before you disagree with that again, perhaps you ought to go read the reference I gave Roger, at this url:

http://www.dprix.com/biblio/nobel/nobel.html

I also mentioned that since then, nitroglycerine has been added to all kinds of bases, as others sought to either improve it or perhaps to circumvent the Nobel patent.

Some may add it to sawdust and call it Dynamite, but if they do, they are lessening the safety of the product, AND misnaming it, as original dynamite has NO sawdust. The reason Alfred Nobel specified that it not be made using any absorbent base which is compressible, is that if the product was then tamped into a hole (by a miner for instance), some of the nitroglycerine could be squeezed out of the compound by the tamping, and then would be as unstable as ever. One more tamp, then, and it could be "BOOM-TIMES".

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote