THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady SST performance on recent elk hunt.
 Login/Join

<monyhunter>
posted
I know there have been quite a few people that have wondered about how the SST performs on game. I am not shooting them this year, but my brother is. Here are the results of the elk he shot this last Sunday. He was shooting a Ruger 7mm rem mag.

He said the shot was between 250 and 300 yards. He was shooting across a small canyon so it was hard to tell how far exactly. But he said it was the longest shot he has taken. He was shooting at an uphill angle and the bull was moving from left to right.

The bullet entered about one foot behind the front shoulder, and about 6 inches from the bottom. With the uphill angle the bullet then exited about a foot higher, and about 6 inches behind the far side front shoulder. The bullet also hit ribs on both sides. The shot was a complete pass through.

The elk was a 6x6, but he said it had three tines broken off. 2 of them were only � off, and the third was broke to the base of the main beam. So I guess you would call this elk a 4 and 2 halves X 6.

Anyway, the bullet did MAJOR damage. He said he has never seen nor read about any bullet performing like this. It was a perfect double lung shot, but the bullet sent shards of rib bone all the way back into the liver! At first he thought he had shot it through the liver, but then realized it was just bone. He also said the heart was almost total mush. The bullet was at least 8 inches away at its closest.

The entrance and exit wounds were the same. They had a small hole in the hide, then a huge wound channel. The funny thing is with just a small exit hole, the far side shoulder had about 7 or so pounds of ruined meat.

I have not decided if what this bullet did was good or not. I think it worked great as it put the huge elk down fast. That is what bullets are supposed to do. On the other hand, if he would have shot the bull in the shoulder, I wonder what would have happened.

------------------
Monyhunter

<monyhunter>
posted
If someone will tell me how, I can post a photo of the rack.

------------------
Monyhunter

<Don Krakenberger>
posted
pretty impressive from a little 139 grain bullet!! What do you guys attribute hornady's success to as probably "the best non premium" bullet?? Do you think it's the fact that the cannelure helps keep them together or are they running a little tougher jacket than sierra//nosler bts//etc etc????

<Bill>
posted
Moneyhunter,

To post you need to have the picture you want hosted on a site. Most guys around here use hunting pictures.com, I forget the specific URL.

Then you type: [img] http://the_address_of_pic [/img]

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

<Aaron Bushell>
posted
Don,
Did I miss something??
What makes you think it was a 140 grain bullet???

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Money I post my pics on my web page then right click on the pic. Click on properties.
you will se a URL. Copy & paste that in your post. Then put the brackets in front of and at the end of what you pasted.

http://clandouglassociety.org/Claw.gif
[img] http://clandouglassociety.org/Claw.gif
[/img]

now without the spaces between [img] & the url address

------------------
NRA Life member

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 11-17-2001).]

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
Aaron,

The SST in 284 dia is only offered in 139 grains as I remember.

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

<1LoneWolf>
posted
Hornady is coming out with a heavier SST in 7mm, but I haven't been able to get them yet.

If anyone has, please give me the source.
Thanks!

E-mail: ANTERICK@AOL.COM

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
What grain bullet?

------------------
"If she won't shoot MOA or better... out she goes!"

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
<monyhunter>
posted
Here is the equipment used to take the bull as well as a link to two of the pictures.

Ruger M77 Stainless
7mm Rem Mag
Hornady 139 SST
Leopold 3x9x40

------------------
Monyhunter

[This message has been edited by monyhunter (edited 11-20-2001).]

[This message has been edited by monyhunter (edited 11-20-2001).]