THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Sanity check needed...working up plinking load for .358 win

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sanity check needed...working up plinking load for .358 win
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am working up a plinking/practice load for my 358 BLR using speer 158gr JHP pistol bullets.

Speer has some loads with RL7 in their new manual. I don't have RL7 but I do have H4227.

I ran QL with some of the speer data and attempted to duplicate the results with the H4227. Powder burn rates very similar.

I have settled on 38 grs of H4227...from QL...the predicted pressure is reasonable at about 44k psi with a 90% load density. I put together 10 rounds last night...the case is filled to bottom of the shoulder.

Although I have re-loaded for years, this is my first attempt at a "non-published" load...

Is my reasoning sound or am I going to shoot my eye out?

Would appreciate any comments or suggestions about my method...have not shot the load yet so can disassemble if I am headed for disaster.

Thanks...

K

Posts: 228 | Location: Huson Montana | Registered: 31 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Safer to use a published load. Not saying i would use this load, just for your reference. 200gr silver tip IMR 4227-28.5gr Maximum COL 2.765" Win brass- Win primer.Info from 1999 IMR powder guide. Good luck, be safe.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I personally would recommend you investigate using IMR's SR4759. I have used it with both 140 grain Speer .357 JHP bullets over 28.5 grains and 200 grain .358 Hornady RN bullets over 26.5 grains in a .358 with good results. It is an excellent powder for reduced loads in other .308 based cartridges as well and there is published data out there. It is one of my favorite powders for recreational shooting and worth the price of one can of powder.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...=309106982#309106982

Thanks, Dad, for taking me into the Great Outdoors.

Posts: 226 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you needed toilet paper would you use sand paper?
Get an IMR guide and use the recommended loads of SR4759. If you have use IMR4227 it will work pretty well but it is not as bulky as SR4759 and leaves more air space in the case. But stick with published loads.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reduced load data I have listed SR4759 with 31gr and a 225gr Hornady.

Posts: 889 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Fill it to the base of the neck with Trailboss!!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1410 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kreyten......I have loaded and shot many 140 gr. Sierra pistol bullets thru my pre-64 model 70 .358. I use a mild load of IMR 4895.
Fast, accurate, and really blows up skunks and such........Grant.

Posts: 336 | Location: SE Minnesota | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice about filling the remaining neck space with trailboss! dancing

Posts: 228 | Location: Huson Montana | Registered: 31 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kreyten:
Thanks for the advice about filling the remaining neck space with trailboss! dancing

yuck

Fifteen love to Kryten for that reply. Big Grin

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i just used hornady book loads with 158gr hornady bullets .. tada!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38610 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well...as we used to say in the squadron "Never up, never in"!

Off to range to try these unpublished loads...I mean....what could possibly go wrong on Friday the 13'th? tu2

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Lees manual does not list that bullet weight, or cartridge, but does list a load for the
356 Winchester with 180 and H4227
24.0 gr. 1849 fps
30.0 gr. 2238 fps

Variance in brass case capacity should be the only factor.

I would suggest cast bullets for plinking/playing.

Waksupi over at Cast Bullets forum is the one person I know of using cast in the 358. Of course he hunts with them too.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4243 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought a plinking load was suppose to be a light fun and mainly cheap load. 38 grains of any powder isn't exactly cheap. That sounds like a hot load of 4227 I'd been careful and worked up to it if that is what you wanted to use.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
If you are loading for a BLR then I would suggest making up a dummie load. I found that some pistol bullets wouldnt feed in mine.

Posts: 10159 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
kryten,

Funny you should be experimenting with that concept...I'm doing the same with some 158gr Sierra's I bought cheap and want to use them as a fireforming load in my 358 with some new cases. Those are short bullets and I can't seat them out to touch lands however.

I found this load on Ammoguide:
[Bullet Wt. 158
Charge: 48.7 (gr)
Powder IMR-4064
COAL: 2.415"
Muzzle vel: 2508 fps, 24 inch barrel
COMMENTS:
Shooting this pistol bullet from a rifle surprised me with its accuracy. At 100 yards it makes a ragged hole with a five shot group measuring .33 inches center to center. All the math says this bullet should be over-stabilized but the accuracy says it is just fine. The Standard deviation in a 25 round sample was only 11 with an extreme spread in velocity of only 32. It was chronographed from a 24 inch custom re-made Remington 700 with 1:12 twist. I sight it dead on at 136 yards which places the bullet one inch high at 100 yards and down to one inch low at 145 yards. It is great for plinking and varmints. It also does well if you hunt deer like my brother and I do - head and neck shots only.

The most recent Speer manual has some loads also

Update-just shot some of the 158 grain (0.357) Sierra JSP bullets I mentioned above with 40 grains of H335 (have a large supply) and shot a 5 shot goup at 100 yards at 1.5" off a poor rest and windy conditions. I did not chronograph them yet but will...I too was surprised at the accuracy of a relatively makeshift load.

PM me if you want more details.

Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote