Find
Notify
Tools

Whats doing this and why now?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted
My 25 06 FL sizer die is now taking the smooth finish off the necks and leving it rather rough. This has just started happening now and my other dies are not doing this, not yet at least.

Would this have anything to do with some of the dust from the cleaning media left on the shells. I think I may of forgot to wipe it off and hope it didnt scratch my dies.

When I look inside the die, everything looks smooth?????

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you using brass or the nickel plated version?

One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Boiler,

I noticed you said you tumble your cases before you resize them. I resize before tumbling so the medium cleans the lube off the case and can also get the few specks I might miss when cleaning the primer pocket and flash hole.

I use Hornady One Shot Spray lube. I ususally spray down the inside of the die to rinse any dust or particles before screwing it into the press, then I lightly spray the case necks from 3 different sides to ensure lubrication inside and out. The overspray is enough for the rest of the case.

I don't know if that will help your situation, but it is something to consider.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Quote:

you using brass or the nickel plated version?

Both.

It's not just some scratches, like from flaked nickel or anything. It is perfectly scratched, like its in vertical tight lines completely around the neck. Its no longer shiney, only the neck. You can only notice the lines if you look closely, otherwise it just looks like the sheen is gone, almost white.

Would the dust/film off of the media build up in the lube and scratch my dies? I noticed as I looked through my brass that it was only partial and then got worse til it does it to all the necks and the whole neck. WTF? I'm going to go clean my die neck with some solvent and a brush and see if that helps. Still, I cant see anything inside the neck after wiping clean.

This only started since I cleaned all my brass with my new tumbler.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Boiler,

I noticed you said you tumble your cases before you resize them. I resize before tumbling so the medium cleans the lube off the case and can also get the few specks I might miss when cleaning the primer pocket and flash hole.

I use Hornady One Shot Spray lube. I ususally spray down the inside of the die to rinse any dust or particles before screwing it into the press, then I lightly spray the case necks from 3 different sides to ensure lubrication inside and out. The overspray is enough for the rest of the case.

I don't know if that will help your situation, but it is something to consider.

I was always under the impression you should clean your brass before resizing for several reasons but I guess its not a neccesity but a preference. I too clean it again after resizing.

Anything and everything helps. Thanks Mike.

One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Well, I started reloading before tumblers were common, and I always found that the powder residue was of little harm to my dies, especially after applying lube to it. I use jewelers rouge in my media, so I really would be leary of tumbling them first.

I must say that the Hornady One Shot spray lube is pretty nice stuff to work with, and rinsing out the die with it has been a source of serenity for me.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Cariboo
posted Hide Post
Quote:

It is perfectly scratched, like its in vertical tight lines completely around the neck. Its no longer shiney, only the neck.

Take a close look at your necks in good light. The "scratches" are probably very tiny cracks starting in the brass. It is common if you use old brass that has been reloaded a number of times. Annealing the necks on much used brass before the cracks start to appear may buy you a few more loads out of the cases.

Posts: 277 | Location: McLeese Lake, B. C. Canada | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you ever disassemble your dies and clean them? You should clean them periodically. Your die may have collected some grunge that is now scratching the brass. Possibly from your cleaning media, as you suspect.

Posts: 132 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Dave.

I clean my dies every time I use them.

Cariboo

It's nothing like that at all. Its strictly the surface. Its scratched like a belt sander did it, if the necks were flat, if that makes sense? Its like there is an abrasive in the neck of the die, only. The finish sands off as the neck passes through. Also, I can feel more resistance than usual now.

I just cleaned it with brushes and solvent and ran another shell through. Same thing.

This has never happened til I ran some brass through my tumbler and forgot to give them a wipe after. They looked darn clean anyways but if you wipe after with a paper towel, you can see the grunge from the media comming off.
What I think is maybe as I sized, it collected in the lube build up and scratched the finish in the neck of my die.

I've gone through the same process with my 7Rem mag dies, but with the exception of wiping after I tumble and alls fine.

I've run 3 brands of brass in different condition through this die now. Same results.

I'm hoping someone who has experienced this may shed some light. If I had the software/hardware to post a pic it would really help. I don't obviously.

Could the dirty residue or the additive from the media do this? Its the media that came with the Lyman Turbo 1200 tumbler. There was a bag of both walnut and corncob(I think) that I blended together. It has some kind of additive that I can smell.

I'm pretty sure I've damaged my die, thats for sure.

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Thats what my conclusion is.

Have you seen media grit do this before?

I only just started using a tumbler.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
You had grit on one of the cases and it scored the die.

You can probably polish the die, but then it depends on how deep the scores are.

Just buy a new one...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
boilerroom, what kind of media and lube are you using?

When you say "vertical tight lines completely around the neck" does this include the shoulder or just the neck?

By the way nickel-plated cases are hell on dies, as well as Bore throats. You can take the polish finish off the dies with nickel plated cases that have been reloaded a good many times. I shoot nickel-plated cases for hunting Ammunition, and brass for everything else. You can inspect the dies and they will seem polished, but the polished finish may still be damaged.

Posts: 11761 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 26 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
I'm just using what came with the tumbler. It came with corn cob and it came with walnut. There is some kind of additive, I can smell it. I threw it all in so there was enough. It works good.

I'm using RCBS lube on a pad. I've had no problems with it before and this problem is isolated to my 25 06 die only. I've made sure to wipe the brass down for my other calibers but I'm sure I missed that first batch of 25 06. Now the neck part of the die is definately grinding of the sheen.

What I'm wondering now, is the brass alright. It seems to be just the finish but what can I expect.

I settled with the fact that the die is going to be replaced but I don't want this to happen again so I'm interested in learning everything I can about this problem/mistake I made.

What do you think Chopps?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Boilers, I don't think it's your media or lube. Could be a gummy Pad!!! Sounds more like nickeling of the dies, but without looking at a case it's hard to tell. Dies can get nickeled just like leading or coppering in a Barrel. Try some extra fine Jewelers rouge on a Jag, rod, and cloth on a variable speed drill and polish the neck of the Die and see if that helps since you plan to replace the die anyway. It may solve the problem.

By the way, chunk that damn pad and squeeze cheese, and get you some Imperial Sizing Die Wax . All it takes is a little on your fingers and rub the case down with a thin film ( A little goes along way) and be sure to lube the inside of the neck or you will get neck stretch during resizing. A can will last a long time and you will solve case denting problems with buildup like you get with the Pad lube.

Posts: 11761 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 26 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Thanks ChoPPer.

I've used the wax before and it works good.

I'm going to try and take a pic of a couple pieces of brass and show people what the necks look like. I still don't think most people can visualize what I'm talking about. Its fustrating.

The problem is that the software for me to post the pic is down in the city and I'm out in the bush 5 hours away.

one of us
posted Hide Post

One pass with a nickle plated case having a rough mouth will give exactly the condition you have.
Polishing may help it some, but usually the die is ruined. That is what is neat about carbide dies.
The only advantage for nickle cases is that you can find them in the grass.
Good Luck!

Posts: 217 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boiler,

If what you describe is what I think it is ( and it may not be ).
The die is scuffed in the neck area.
Something harder than the steel was introduced with the brass at some point in time, and it scratched the die.

If the die is scratched it will imprint itself on the brass during use.

Unless it is severe it is not a problem in itself. Just a cosmetic thing. I have a set of 223 dies that do this, they make good ammo. The necks do not seem to be weakened in the least.

Chances are the scratches are so small they will dissappear with some steel wool, not that this is anything I would do, but it gives perspective as to the depth of the scratch.

Travis F.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Steve has nailed the problem. You can try and fix it, if it's not too bad. Take a small wood dowel and cut a slot about 1/2 inch deep. Take a strip of crocus cloth about 1/2 inch wide and 1/2 inch long, fold it in half and put it in the slot in the dowel. With either a hand drill, or a variable speed electric drill, run the crocus cloth up into the neck and using a fairly moderate speed, move the cloth in an in and out motion for a few minutes.
If the scratches in the die aren't too bad, that should polish them out. On more serious scratches, you might have to try either 400 or 600 grit wet or dry paper (the black sandpaper) with oil, but be very sparing in the use of those as they cut fast.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
I use the green fine media (corncob) when tumbling now, due to the exact thing happening with the red (coarse nutshell) media. My 300WSM die leaves the same scratches. Scratches are too harsh of a word though, it is more a matte finish, as opposed to previously shiny polished.

It harms nothing as long as they are not deep. If the cosmetics bother you, try and fix them, but I think it is a waste of time. I am up to 7 loads (and counting) without a case failure or performance change of any sort......

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Yes, it pretty much goes away when I touch it up with steel wool. Just the finish is damaged.

I just have to make sure that I get all the residue off before I pass the cleaned brass through my other dies.

I'm pretty sure we've isolated the problem and I don't think either my brass or my die is ruined. The important part was figuring what I f up.

Thanks guys.

one of us
posted Hide Post
the tumbling residue in your die is probably harder than the steel. When you start to remove it by steelwool or any other mechanical cleaner, you'll remove parts of the die surface as well. I'd suggest you soak your die in Kroil overnight, give it a short pass with steel wool, clean it, and redo. Use little force and let time work for you.
But generally - you have to accept that the interior surface of the die is already defective to a certain extent.

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote