New
Find
Notify
Tools

.44/.357 magnum loads?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
what is a powerful loading powder for these two calibers? i was told to use hodgdon universal for both but found out it was way underpowered to factory loads. on their website hodgdon says the H110 is their best magnum powder but i have no idea.

what is the best magnum powder?

One of Us
Picture of goneballistic
posted Hide Post
Hands down, Hodgdon's H 110. .44 mag accuracy load, 230 grain Hornady XTP, 23 grains H 110. Max load of 24.5 grains gave 1530fps from my 9.5" barrel Ruger SRH and 1500fps from a 7" barrel Ruger RH. Approach with caution, these are both very strong revolvers. I have gotten good results in a .357 with H110 and I currently use it exclusively in my .500 S&W in full power loads.

Win. 296 is another good magnum powder, but it is dirty.

"The irony is, if you're willing to kill a perpetrator, you probably won't have to."

Massad Ayoob

Posts: 111 | Location: West Central Florida | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Winchester 296, Hodgdon H110, Alliant 2400

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
H-110 has served me well for years, and I'd venture an estimate that at least 95% of all my .357 Mag and .44 Mag loads have used this propellant.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure h110 and win 296 are the same powder just like H414 and 760.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goneballistic:
Hands down, Hodgdon's H 110.
Win. 296 is another good magnum powder, but it is dirty.

Funny that you think W296 is "dirty", it's the same powder as H110.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of goneballistic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Funny that you think W296 is "dirty", it's the same powder as H110.

OK, so the're both dirty...when both compared to Blue Dot. I had remembered using 296 in a .357 years ago, and the brass always seemed to come out nothing short of filthy. Only pound I ever bought. Hadn't noticed it as much with H 110 and until I just did a little checking before this post, I wasn't aware that both are made by the St. Marks powder Company. I did know that Olin had held the patent on ball powder, but I figured Hodgdon made theirs and Olin made theirs. That's what I get for assuming. Anyway, I stand behind my data and I prefer the available load data on H110 over the data for W 296, at least the data I've seen.

"The irony is, if you're willing to kill a perpetrator, you probably won't have to."

Massad Ayoob

Posts: 111 | Location: West Central Florida | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what about the universal, since its max load is under powered is it a good idea to use more

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
NO! thumbdown Universal is too fast for max. perf. out of the magnum rounds, it's for mid range loads. http://www.hodgdon.com/data/pistol/357mag.php Notice Univ. w/ 125gr bullets reaches max. pressure 400fps+ short of H110. Using more will definetly cause you pressure problems. H110, W296, AA#9, H2400 are the powders to look to for max. vel. w/ most bullet weights.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with H110 and W296 as top, then AA#9 and 2400 as right on their heels. It seems to me you could throw H4227 in with the last 2, but that always starts a heated discussion. Has anyone noted H4227 to be as temp sensitive as I've heard? I bought a pound several years ago but after all I read on boards like this, I never tried it.

Posts: 967 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 28 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KLN357
posted Hide Post
One powder for the best performance in both calibers? I'd say AA#9. Ramshot Enforcer is very much like AA#9. H-110 and 296 might be a bit better for the .44 Mag, but not enough different to make up for the advantage you'll have with AA#9 in .357 Mag. I haven't used it, but AA 4100 shows a lot of promise in both calibers as well. I know it wasn't mentioned, but there probably isn't a better powder for .41 Magnum than AA#9! Wink

"No one told you when to run; you missed the starting gun."

Posts: 483 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
in your opinion what is the main difference between H110 and AA#9 in the 357? is it an accuracy issue or velocity?

One of Us
Picture of KLN357
posted Hide Post
gilk: both. The burn rate of #9 makes it better suited to the .357 Magnum case. It is very accurate and will give higher velocities. The only powder I know of that shows higher velocity (from actual revolvers rather than a 10" test barrel) is AA 4100 and I have not used it. I have some Accurate data from several years ago where the velocities were chronographed in a 6" S&W 686 and 4100 was very impressive, but unless the accuracy is as good as it is with #9, the very slight velocity advantage is moot. Both max. loads were over 1600 FPS with a 158 gr. JHP. Ramshot Enforcer is a close rival to #9 and I've seen some people say they're the same, but their bulk densities are slightly different. Both are very dense at 935 grams/liter (#9) and 940 (Enforcer). Naturally, #9 meters exceptionally well. It yields less muzzle blast as well. Wink

"No one told you when to run; you missed the starting gun."

Posts: 483 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how does AA#9 work in the 44

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gilk:
what is a powerful loading powder for these two calibers? i was told to use hodgdon universal for both but found out it was way underpowered to factory loads. on their website hodgdon says the H110 is their best magnum powder but i have no idea.

what is the best magnum powder?

Several powder fit this bill, however, 2400 is the single best choice IMHO. It will work with jacketed bullets as well as lead, and will do a superb job in both calibres. That's something that can't be said about ball powders.
Now if you're talking a single bullet, like 158 grain JHPs in .357, and 240 grain JHPs in .44, then I'd go for WW-296.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kraky:
I'm pretty sure h110 and win 296 are the same powder just like H414 and 760.

They are not the same and the discerning eye will note that the flame from WW-296 is blue, not orange, like the one given off by H-110. Also, their respective charge weights vary as much as 1.5 grains, a significant amount in a pistol case.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gilk:

It works great, but it is not the equal of 2400.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

18 grains of AA #9 behind either a cast 240-250 or a jacketed 240 can't be beat, IMHO. I wouldn't give two bits for a truck load of 2400, and Blue Dot is very temperature sensitive, in my experience.

And the best group I have ever shot with a .357 was my own cast 180 and 14.0 grains of AA #9 out of Ruger RH. It was one ragged hole at 50 yards. Do NOT shoot that load.... it is WELL over the top of the load charts!!!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote