Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Newbie" Bullet seating depth?
 Login/Join

posted
I'm new to reloading so I hope this doesn't sound too dumb. I'm loading some 125 grain speer h.p. for my ruger m77 markII 30-06. How deep is deep enough when seating the bullet? I know that it's usually best to have the bullet slightly back from the lands, but if it means that the bullet isn't seating into the case very much isn't that bad as well? My concern is that if I don't seat the bullet far enough in the case that run out will be a problem. Any advice?

Posts: 2 | Location: Erie, PA | Registered: 05 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CJ:
What does the book say for OAL? I'd start there then, after finding the load I like, play with seating depth. Of course this assumes you're not shooting max loads. After you get more experience, I'd advise getting the Stoney Point gauges to measure seating depth to the ogive. The location of the ogive is actually the correct spot to measure seating depth. After you gain a bit of experience, you'll understand what I mean. Oftentimes, bullets are not consistant in OAL therefore the ogive is a better reference point.
Many guys aren't as concerned with the length to the ogive as I am & that's ok. It comes down to how anal ya wanna be about it. I've probably given you more than you wanted here - sorry. Suffice it to say that seat them to the OAL the book says. Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 125 in 30 cal is a short bullet so your main worry is to get enough in the neck for good tension. You will not be near the lands with that one. A lot of people use the rule of having the at least the bullet diameter in the neck.
Good Luck

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey CJ

That 125 gr bullet will probably not be close to the lands even if you seat it .308" deep (one caliber like Dwight said).

That is a hard bullet to start with and manage to get any accuracy and not have other problems because that weight is not really normal for the 30-06. I doubt whether your gun would have the right twist to shoot it properly since 30-06's are made to shoot more normal weights like the 165 gr or 180 gr bullets. The sectional density on that bullet will be very low and you will not get proper penetration. The ballistic coefficient will be low and it will not hold trajectory and energy downrange like the heavier bullets will.

125 gr bullets are normal for the 6.5 mm calibers not the 30 calibers.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Dwight, I know I didn't seat them at least .308" deep. I'll have to go back and set them a little deeper. Thank you.

woods, I have some 165 gr but haven't loaded with them yet. I got the 125gr with the intent of finding a round for coyote. Not looking at long shots (mostly under 150 yards) and penetration shouldn't be an issue. I've read from other people using the lighter bullets (110's and 125's) in the 30-06 with good results so I figured I'd give it a shot. Thanks.

Posts: 2 | Location: Erie, PA | Registered: 05 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That guide of "one calibre" is not writ in stone. I don't think the neck of a 300WinMag is even a calibre long. If the bullet in in the neck a fair amount, I wouldn't worry about it. I agree with the others that 125gr bullets are a poor choice for a 30-06.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seatinging them less than a caliber lenght isn't necessarily unsafe. You could use a Lee factory crimp die to unifirm neck tension. However run out may (or may not) be an issue. I once loaded 70 grainers in my 25-06 that way and got fantastic accuracy.