WSM
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is the parent case of the WSM series? Anybody knows this? Thanks H

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I belive it's new. But can be made by major modifications of an .404 Jeffery case. I read something about it in the june issue of Guns & Ammo, "Wild catting the .300 WSM.(22,6mm,6,5mm,7mm,.338,.350)

------------------
Arild S

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is the 348 Winchester made rimless and improved....Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
C�mon boys, .348 rimmed as basis? The .348 with standard pressures just imitates a �06!

Also IIRC this is a very tapered cartridge.

Honestly, I think it�s either some totally new design ( like .222 was ) or we have not discovered the real basic case up to now.

Could somebody perhaps look up cartridge dimensions: rim ( shellholder! ), base and neck diameters??

Wow, from new member to super member! I sure would like a red cape! Would not insist on that tight fitting blue dress ...

H

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
aHunter,

There is a series of wildcats, I think they are called Heavy Express or some similar name, that were all originally based on converted 348 cases. I think they now have new cases made.

Check 348 dimensions, make it rimless, improve it and neck it to 30 and you have the 300 WSM.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Big John>
posted
300 WSM: Shoulder angle = 35'
Case Length = 2.100 inches
Length to base of Neck = 1.815 inches
Head Diameter = .555 inches