Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS 2000
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlmen,
I'm considering a progressive reloading press for .45 ACP and .45 Colt and I'm strongly considering the RCBS 2000. I'm initmately familiar with the Dillon line and have given them due consideration. I'm leaning toward the RCBS due to it's cast iron frame, 5 stations with manual indexing, APS priming system, and fairly compact size when compared to the larger machines with casefeeders. Does anyone have any real world advice regarding this press? Regards, Matt.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
<David Wile>
posted
Hey Matt,

I have had an RCBS Rockchucker for nearly 35 years, and it is fair to say that I am an RCBS fan. I also like other good heavy equipment by Lyman, Hornady, Pacific and others. When I decided to get a progressive press for metallics, I did not like what RCBS had available at the time. I wanted an auto indexing five station press that could do big rifle calibers as well as pistol rounds. Based on these requirements, the Dillon 550 and Square Deal presses were out. I compared the Hornady Lock & Load which had just come out and the Dillon 650. I had no interest the auto case feeder and many of the other bells and whistles on the Dillon. I thought the Hornady L&L was the right press for me, and it was a lot less expensive than the Dillon 650. In the seven years I have had mine, I have never had any part break. The original shell plate spring has become knarled from use, so I called Hornady last week, and they said they would send me a couple of new springs at no cost.

In my opinion, Hornady looked at the progressive presses produced by the competition, evaluated the good points and bad points, and then made a better product with their Lock & Load progressive. Now I look at the RCBS 2000, and it seems they have done the same thing Hornady did seven or eight years ago, and they have incorporated some good improvements in their 2000. I like my Hornady L&L, but if I were buying a new progressive today, I would seriously consider the 2000. It seems to be a really good machine, and it has the usual quality of the RCBS green machines. Like the Hornady, it is a lot less expensive than the Dillon 650.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

<Matt_G>
posted
Hi Matt,
I went out to the RCBS web site, and it seems to me the 2000 is very similar to the Ammo Master progressive they sold a few years back. I have a Ammo Master progressive and have been very happy with it. The main differences between what I have and what you are looking to get, are the priming method and the fact that the Ammo Master is auto indexing. The APS priming system will definitely be an improvement over what I have. My press uses a priming tube that holds a 100 primers. It's the only thing I am not real crazy about. Makes me a little nervous having a 100 primers stacked like that. The new system on the 2000 takes care of that 'problem'.

I have never had any troubles with my press.
It's very well made and will handle any caliber I care to load. (Rifle or pistol) When I get in a good rhythm, I can load 200 to 250 rounds an hour. I know I could do more than this but I'm just not in that much of a hurry. I take my time to preclude making stupid mistakes. The powder measure is always dead on when I do a spot check. Of course that is Bullseye or 231 which is what is use for most of my pistols. (.45ACP mostly)
The only thing I need to keep an eye on is the bullet seating depth. It changes on me over time due to lube build up in the die. One of the drawbacks to shooting cast bullets.

You probably already know this but I'll say it anyways.

Whatever you decide to get just make sure it has 5 stations. I know most do but I believe there are some out there with only 4. This allows you to use a 'M' die in station 2 and a seperate taper crimp die in station 5. I personally refuse to seat and crimp in the same step.

I don't think you will be disappointed in this press if you decide to get one.
Let us know what you get and how it treats you.

------------------
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
I greatly appreciate everyone's input. I bought one this morning from Graf's on sale. I hope it works as well as I'm told it does. Best, Matt.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote