New
Find
Notify
Tools

QUICK MEASURE POWDER DISPENSER
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any one out there had any experience with the Quick Measure Dispenser? I'm giving it some serious thought and would appreciate any feedback.
thanks
rob

"the older I get, the better I was"

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the RCBS charger master. I checked the weights with a 5-0-5 for quite a while (about 200 rounds) and found it to be dead on. I dont know if i would try the snake oil. just go with what works.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have spoken to the man who designed it and sells it at the Reno Hilton show. It's quite ingenious, very fast and very accurate. Settings are made with a dial micrometer. If I shot more, I'd buy one. It is most definitely not a "snake oil" system. He also makes a beautiful, anodized aluminium powder funnel that can be had for any caliber or for any specific caliber. Powder flows through it like water through a garden hose.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I`ve one. It`s only seen limited use so far, but I`m happy with it.
The measure seems to work as advertized, but is costly. The best part IMO is the fact it doesn`t cut or pinch extruded powders - ever. The measure appears to drop charges within +/- 0.10gr with everthing I`ve used in it so far and runs ball powders dead nuts, charge after charge. It takes a few practice runs to get the hang of the unit but once you catch on it`s easy and very "quick".
I didn`t buy the "setting gage" they offer but found that useing my caliper I can measure the adjustment screws lenght between the flangs on the drop tubes and return to settings quite quickly with minimun adjustment. I also took a hint from the manufacture and, in place of useing their stand put a 1/4" furniture screw in a shelve over my bench then lock the measure to it when I`m loading, saves a few $$.
http://www.quick-measure.com/index.htm

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've exchanged several emails with Tim from Quickmeasure and found him to be helpful. It's a good sign when emails receive quick and helpful responses, something I wish retailers in this country would try .
rob

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thes things sound good !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It looks mickey mouse to me! And at $150.00 it's way too expensive. For another 100 bucks you could have a pact digital dispensor with a pact digital scale, or the dispensor alone is $144.00. Mine partnered with a RCBS scale works flawlessly.

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There was a nice write up of this measure in VHP for 50 BMG the repeatability is dependent on the stroke speed and concluded it was about +/-.6gr repeatability but never sheared any powder. The reviewer claimed you must make a very consistant stroke the way the valve mechanism works or the results will be less than desireable. The test was done with a much larger volume of powder than would be used with smaller cartridges. Being a volumetric device it cannot be any more consistant than the other measures which depend on material filling a space or cavity. The fact that it doesn't shear is an advantage over some BR style measures. I prefer weighed charges and seem to get better STD velocities from them for long range. If it were me I would probably go with something like an Autoscale and a Lee measure with a rubber wiper.

Posts: 93 | Location: Mi | Registered: 14 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FlyingAce
posted Hide Post
I happen to know the designer of the QuickMeasure personally, as well as, only one of his measures.

In the beginning, I found it quite challenging to get "consistent" (+/- < 0.5gr.) charges straight out-of-the-box. However, once I came to the realization that my technique needed to be consistent, and then adjusting the setting screw to give me the desired charge gave me excellent "consistency" (+/- < 0.1gr.).

My technique is pretty simple. I hold the funnel with the brass insert under the drop tube, engage the measure for a count of "0-0-1" then release. In my experience there's no need to tap anything or hold the measure engaged for in length of time.

This is what works for me, but each to their own... :-)

Jim Mace

For all things WSSM...
http://wssmzone.com

Some told me, "Jim, sorry, you just can't...". To those I reply, "Watch Me..."

Posts: 84 | Location: Spokane, Washington | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I have a unit on the way and will give feedback in due course.If the product is half as good as the service I received I shall be more than pleased. Quick replies to questions and willing to proffer solutions rather than upsells.
rob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
similiar in idea to what a lot of Black powder muzzle loaders do, with a brass powder flask.

Except they tip the flask over with a finger covering the open end of the tube (which is usally a specific length to give that charge), press tth plunger and then release turn flask uprigth and then dump charge into barrel, insert projectile and seat it home.

Looks like the same idea, but for modern powders, if I didn't like to weigh every charge or was doing volume reloads, then i would spend the money.