THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guys with an RCBS Powder Dispenser -- HELP!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My RCBS Powder dispenser recently "jammed" when a small granule of powder got caught between one of the tubes so I had to take it apart to free it. The "slop" between the tubes and the plastic bushing is unacceptable and something RCBS need to fix.

One of the LED's (the calibration LED) had also blown for some while so I figgered it was time to fix that too.

Anyway I took it apart last night very carefully and replaced the LED and cleaned out the tubes. It is a very well made unit.

However I got confused and I think I put the tubes back in the wrong way. I tried it this morning and while it works it is WAY TOO SLOW.

One of the tubes is internally spiralled the other is not.

If any one has one of these units, (or the PACT) please look at it and tell me:

As you are looking at the unit (keypad towards you) the furthest away tube is the "fast" tube, is that spiralled or smooth? If it is smooth I have them ass backwards. I just want to make sure before I take it apart again.

Many thanks.

Pete M

------------------
I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Pete - Sounds like backwards -

I have the same RCBS Powder Dispenser. With the dispenser facing you, the worm (spiral) tube is the closest to the front panel and the smooth tube is behind the worm tube.

Hope this helps.

Z

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Z,

Works like a charm now.

Cheers

Pete

------------------

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Pete - I have used the RCBS dispenser for quite a few years. I have a Redding and a Harrell thrower and an RCBS 304 balance-beam scale. I am using the auto-dispenser for my 80gr and up throws for my big bores. I use the old Lee powder scopes to get me up to 90% of the charge weight and then let the auto-dispenser throw the rest.

Using this method, I can quickly throw a charge and never find myself waiting on the dispenser. I almost always shoot across my Oehler chrono and my velocity SDs are generally single digits. I am sort of a purest when it comes to reloading, but I gotta say that I am pleased with the RCBS unit. The infrared scale is finicky at times, however, if I let is warm up and use my check weights a few times, is settles down. Every 10 or so throws, I toss in my check weight to double check the accuracy of the scale.

Have you found similar performance results with yours?

Z

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Z,

My scale does get the jitters but only because my pal from the states bought me an American unit with a 110/9VAC transformer. I had to cobble together a 220/240/9VAC rig so it would work. I think the power fluctuations cause it to go "Tare" every so once in a while. No hassle just "Zero" it and all is fine.

The dispenser I bought second hand from "Propdoc" about a year ago and this too was a 110VAC/9VDC rig and again I had to find a suitable transformer. Apart from the blown LED it has performed admirably. I fixed the LED too, it is now green.

We have rather coarse cut powders here and the dispenser has a tendency to throw a charge about 0.1gr light - about 3 granules. Just often enough to bug the s**t out of me. I know to wait until the scale "catches up" then I toss in 3 granules and it is good to load.

My SD's are in the 20's to 30's. As long as the load shoots in the 6's I am a happy camper (that's 22-250, 270 and 7X64)

I throw either weights in the 30-35gr, 50-55gr and 60-65gr ranges. I must try your method with the scoop, and see if I can shave some time.

Cheers

Pete

BTW you'd think there was all sorts of fancy electronic stuff inside. There isn't. One measly chip and some capacitors, and two big motors with gearboxes. The tubes are connected to the motors with a flexible spring coupling. The boys at PACT know their stuff.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Pete Millan (edited 07-23-2001).]