Find
Notify
Tools

Can a 416 Rem crimp die be enlarged?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted
Can a 416 Rem crimp die be enlarged to crimp 416 Rigby ammo?

I am having difficulty sourcing a crimp die for my 416 rigby. Yes I know I can use the Lyman seating die and crimp with an extra step. But I want a proper crimp die that can be used with brass that may not be trimmed equally - differnt loads.

I know of a local guy who has offered to turn our a Lee 416 rem die to fit a Rigby. I want to know if this is ok, safe, etc.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11254 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
For the cost he may charge you for the work, you may be able to have LEE make you a die,which they will.
If his price is low, I'd try it.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
well - - the answer is, in the situation presented.. sure.. ut it won't matter... the taper or roll or factory crimp all kind of work on the same principal .. the brass is more or less uniform brass length -- you state that you want it to work with different trim lengths.. and a crimp dies set for you longest won't do a thing for your shortest,and if set for your shortest, will ruin the brass for the longest....

if you mean to a adjust between brass runs, then what you need is a 416 taper crimp, not setup for anything...

If my dies allow, i will crimp as a separate step

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I can buy the 416 Rem Lee crimp die for about NZ$30 and the machining work will cost NZ$25.

The other dies are not available here and the US export restriction on gun & ammo related stuff is a real pain in the ass. Lee will not ship to me & most other dealers will not.

I do not know who makes a 416 taper crimp die.

Thanks

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Lee can make you one but the other way to use them is to simply invert the round and stick it in from the top and hold it while you crimp it.
It works just the same.
Plus you guys are down under anyway Big Grin

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4207 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Phil

That sounds funny but I cannot picture the crimping action. What happens when I pull the press handle?

Yes we hang on to the earth by our toes!

one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
I wanted Lee Factory crimp dies for the 375 and 416 Ruger a few years ago, but they weren't available. I called Lee and they told me to put together one of each, unprimed and no powder, but seated to the depth I desired. I mailed the dummy rounds to them and in less than 2 weeks I had custom factory crimp dies for $ 25 each.

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load and shoot quite a bit of 416 rigby and I never crimp. I have not had a problem with set back....have you tried a mag full without crimping? You may not need to bother there is a lot of bullet in the neck.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. The problem is that Lee will not ship to NZ. All this security regarding gun related stuff is a real pain in the a$$.

The 416 Rem dies have arrived and the gunsmith will do the conversion. he already uses such a die to crimp 416 Rigby brass & says the die body is easy to work.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Got the die - hope it works. The collet (?) looks a bit thin about 1.5 mm. Fingers crossed.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Phil,
I got a kick out of reading your post; and said to myself, "you can tell he lives a mile or two from town..."
Best regards!

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote