Find
Notify
Tools

Annealing Steel Cases?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cowboy_Dan
posted
I want to reload 7.62x39 and have recently found a way to reload the cheap berdan-primed steal rounds at my local range. However, reloading the steel cases work hardens them, which means that they can only be reloaded a few times.

Annealing brass cases makes them less hard, would the same process work on steel cases? Has anyone tried this?

Posts: 164 | Location: Northern Indiana | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just anneal them in a trash barrel.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Annealing brass cases makes them less hard, would the same process work on steel cases? Has anyone tried this?

you will have to heat the steel to the threshold of the material.
then cool it slowly. The cases are usually coated to control rust.
The primer pockets are larger in diameter than standard rifle primers, And standard primers are a little longer and will probably stick out . At the time I decided it was not worth it.
The ammo I loaded caused more problems with primers falling out and jam up.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Way back before the 7.62x39 was available, I used to alter Berdan cases for boxer primers; but for BRASS cases. I swaged the pockets smaller, and milled them a bit deeper. It sounds like got past that problem; annealing steel is the reverse from brass; let it cool slowly; do not quench.

Posts: 17264 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted 25 May 2013 10:59 Hide Post
Just anneal them in a trash barrel.

best advice there is

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cowboy_Dan
posted Hide Post
Just did the math:

1,000 rounds wolf ammo and a mag, $398

Components for 1,000 rounds, $375 + time.
My single stage press means that 1,000 rounds may take 40 hours to reload, so I'm going with the free mag option.

Posts: 164 | Location: Northern Indiana | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cowboy_Dan:
Just did the math:

1,000 rounds wolf ammo and a mag, $398

Components for 1,000 rounds, $375 + time.
My single stage press means that 1,000 rounds may take 40 hours to reload, so I'm going with the free mag option.

40 hours?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
40 hrs?

I do 100 an hour on my single and 300 on my progressive

Why 40? Also....why buy steel one and done? I wont spend money on ammo that I can't reuse the brass

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
oldIt might make sense to reload steel case but I sure don't see it. shockerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
It might make sense to reload steel case but I sure don't see it. roger

I sure wouldn't bother with steel.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not here to discuss the cost effeciveness of steel vs. brass, but if you want to anneal steel, the best way is to heat (evenly) to a dull red (around 1150 degrees - give or take a few) and drop the cases in motor oil, gear oil etc. The oil will flame so do it in a safe area, away from children, combustables, etc. and wear PPE, blah, blah, blah, blah........

Oh and leave the cases in the oil until you can reach in by hand and get them out "without receiving 1st,2nd or 3rd degree burns". Of course wear rubber gloves because the state of Kalifornicate has determined that moter oils are a cancer causing agent and....................

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rae59:
I'm not here to discuss the cost effeciveness of steel vs. brass, but if you want to anneal steel, the best way is to heat (evenly) to a dull red (around 1150 degrees - give or take a few) and drop the cases in motor oil, gear oil etc. The oil will flame so do it in a safe area, away from children, combustables, etc. and wear PPE, blah, blah, blah, blah........

Oh and leave the cases in the oil until you can reach in by hand and get them out "without receiving 1st,2nd or 3rd degree burns". Of course wear rubber gloves because the state of Kalifornicate has determined that moter oils are a cancer causing agent and....................

And after that degrease the cases, deal with whatever scale/crud is left on the steel after the annealing process. And I don't know how long a set of dies would hold up loading steel cases.

Buy brass.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to make something a bit clearer from my previous post.

The "oil quench" cooling method generally does nothing to mild steels other than slowly cool and give it a blueish color. It can, however, actually have the reverse effect on certain high carbon and alloy steels.
It may or may not depending on the steel chemistry.
After thinking about this, it probably would not be a good idea to drop the heated cases in oil but rather just let them air cool slowly, since the steel composition may not be certain.

Under any situation, the cases should be checked by a simple destructive test to check if any softening or possibly even hardening has taken place after the heating and cooling process.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Steel cases are usually berdan primed. There used to be a drill bit kit for making a single flash hole

Try that first with brass cases and figure out how it works. Then think about steel.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39562 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You find steel casings on the ground at shooting ranges because nobody wants them and the bums that fired them are too lazy to properly dispose of them in the trash containers.