Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester cases in 458Win
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted
How do you find the quality of Winchester cases, in particularly in 458Win?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used lots of Winchester brass in 458 Win Mag. with no problems. I always check the length before loading.
The problem at the moment is finding brass, and if you find it, the prices are sky high.

Posts: 188 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
How do you find the quality of Winchester cases, in particularly in 458Win?

Excellent quality, well annealed and formed. Never lost a case to neck splits or loose primer pockets. I too would check the length before reloading.

I've used a lot of Winchester 458 WM in my Lott before switching over to Hornady Lott cases. Never a problem.

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like them and prefer them over Hornady.I have not tried Norma in this caliber,but would if they were available.I think Hornady and Nosler cases are very alike.The heads on the Win cases appear more machined-like compared to the Hornady ones.I have had to throw many Win cases away after the fifth??? firing or when the primer pockets will not hold a primer securely enough.Perhaps Norma cases would last longer but don't know.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
winchester (olin) has set them as a seasonal run. The are run in one big batch, on a schedule. My suggestion is to move towards hornady brass.

If you have to throw away cases after 4 firings, your loads are dangerously over pressure

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

If you have to throw away cases after 4 firings, your loads are dangerously over pressure

I just bought 200 for about $130US.
At that price I'm not to worried if a few get lost in the grass.
I will be using 480grn Woodleighs to keep pressures way down also.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote