New
Find
Notify
Tools

454 casull home defense loading?
 Login/Join

<Dr. John>
posted
looking for a good load for my ruger srh for home defense. I am assuming I will have to down load. which bullets? Hornady xtp?
load data?

<Scott H>
posted
Pick any .45 Colt load with a 220-250 gr. bullet and 6.5-7.0 gr Bullseye.

FWIW, regarding home protection, you may be better off buying CCI Lawman ammo. Ayoob once described a legal scenario where handloads could buy you legal trouble if the home invader's family sued you. He said their lawyer would have a field day with a handload. It sounded pretty silly when I read it a few years ago, but witnessing the the legal stunts today, it doesn't seem silly any longer.

[This message has been edited by Scott H (edited 09-20-2001).]

<stans>
posted
Don't use handloads for self defense. Always use factory ammo.

<BigBores>
posted
Absolutely don't use handloads! They are right, a lawyer will have a field day with you. I recomend Cor-Bon. I use them in my Anaconda 45 Long Colt. 200gr at 1150-1200fps, I forget which. Would be plenty of penetration. I would hate to stand in your shoes in court if you ever shot a bad guy with the Casull. Lawyer will drag you up one side and down the other over a "super magnum" revolver. Just my 2 cents.

<Dr. John>
posted
I was surprised at the response. looks like a person can only defend himself in his home if he has the "proper" weapon. At home I have a 458win mag, 303 brit smle, 30-06, and a rem sp-10 10ga semi shotgun. I figured the 454 with light loads and proper bullets would be a good combo. maybe I should consider the 10 ga? what is the criteria on which weapon can be used to defend oneself if needed? not that I ever plan on using it but in light of things lately I felt it may be a good idea to be semi-prepared.

<jagtip>
posted
DR JOHN...Those who've advised you not to use handloads for self defense have given you good advice.Legal counsel for the other side will try to make you look diabolical in any way possible and it would not be in your best interest to give them more to work with.

<Wolverine>
posted
The 10 gauge with #2 shot would be my choice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
DJ:

For the .454 I would recommend Performance Plus Platinum .45 Colts made by RBCD Performance Plus Ammunition in San Antonio, TEXAS. Incredible stuff. Expensive but worth it.

I would strongly second the use of a shotgun instead of a .454 for your primary home defense weapon. However, all the common 10 gauges are kind of large and clunky for home defense work. They would work obviously, but I would certainly rather have something a little more handy like an 870 with a 18 to 22 inch barrel in 12 gauge. There are multiple good reasons not to use a longer barrel for home/self defense and no good reasons to use a longer one, if you have a choice. If you have other people in your home, like kids, or anyone in other rooms on a regular basis, I would load it with 6s for the first shot or two. If not, or if they are in the same room with you, I would use any large shot from 2s on up to 00.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote