New
Find
Notify
Tools

4831 same as 4831sc?
 Login/Join

<cohoyo>
posted
I'm trying to find loading data for my .338 lapua mag using 225 gr hornady's and h4831 but all I can find is data using H4831sc so what's the difference?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Use the same data.

[This message has been edited by GSF1200 (edited 01-17-2002).]

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Orion>
posted
AMEN

Martin

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can use the same data. But when I was working up some loads for a 338 Ultra Mag, I switched from one to the other and got an instant 150 FPS increase and a slightly hard extraction. From no pressure signs to maximum in one step.

When I contacted Hodgden, they stated that the two powders do have a different burning rate, but they are close enough to use the same data.

I guess the lesson is that they are the same, just not interchangable.

Hope that helps, Joe.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
JMac - When ever changing from one production lot to another, always start your load development over. Never assume that one lot = the other. Many times it does not.

Just curious, which powder showed an increase in pressure - standard 4831 or SC?

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
COHOYO,
The SC stands for "Short Cut". It is the same powder but meters more easily and has more powder surface area at the same weights, therefore will burn more efficently and create the higher pressure/velosity. This is what we use in ALL of our MAGS. and constantly get GREAT results with it. As advised, start off slow & low.
Happy reloading,
SAM

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote