New
Find
Notify
Tools

Die Alignment
 Login/Join

<HKG3>
posted
I have a Lee turret press and it does not look like the shell enters the sizing die exactly straight. Does this matter or does once the shell enter the die it is aligned.

The finished producted seems ok.

Just new and poranoid!

As always thanks.

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Well, that's definitely not the best of situations from an accuracy standpoint. I'd be interested to see your rounds run through a concentricity gauge. The bullets are likely canted a bit off-center. Not to mention stress and strain on the brass.

If the rounds are shooting acceptably well for you and the brass isn't being harmed, then I wouldn't worry about it. Then again, I'd probably send the thing back to Lee ASAP and ask them to make good on their boasts of "quality."

Save up your nickels and dimes and buy a Forster Co-Ax press, and you'll never have to worry about penny ante stuff like this again.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
<stans>
posted
My first press was a Lee, I think it was the Challenger. Anyway, Lee is the lowest cost bidder and I was not impressed. My current press is the RCBS Ammo Master. It is big, but will handle anything up to and including .50cal Browning machine gun. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. The only Lee product that seems to get nearly universal praise is the factory crimp die. And I hate those rubber o-ring locks!!

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stans:
The only Lee product that seems to get nearly universal praise is the factory crimp die.

I would agree with this, but would also add the Lee hand primer to the list. Most folks that have these like them. Though, I use a Hornady unit, myself.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HKG3
This might sound like a simple answer but try a different shellholder. I have noticed some difference between Lee and others depending on caliber.
RR

Posts: 227 | Location: West Central Sask | Registered: 16 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Big50>
posted
Try this,
loosen the die lock ring, run a lubed case all the way up and then tighten the lock ring. This "may" help.

If not, move the opening of the shellholder to the side the case is tipping tward as it enters the die to let the casehead slide over as it moves up.

I had similer problems with my Lyman T-Mag press, that and the cheesy loose head and screw on the back.

Those days ended yesterday when a new Dillon RL550B was bolted to the bench. It was a toss up between it and the Co-Ax. But the Co-Ax arm wouldn't clear the competition dies larger than .308win. and the decision was to go with the one I could leave my dies set up in. I haven't checked run out yet but it should be minimal.

[This message has been edited by Big50 (edited 11-17-2001).]

<Zeke>
posted
You may wish to try to free float the shellholder. Remove the steel retainer that holds in the shellholder and replace with an rubber O-ring. Worked for me.
ZM

<Eric>
posted
HKG3,

I used an RCBS "Rock Chucker" for years, many, many rounds. Finally got tired of that and bought a Lee "Load Master" because money was tight. I'm real happy with it. I've only used it for pistol ammo to date, but plan on trying .30 Carbine and .223 as soon as I get the shell holders.

I'm also fond of their dies. I've used RCBS and Hornady dies, and as long as I do my job, the "Load Master" and Lee's dies do theirs. I did have a learning curve at first, and I had to "tweak" some of the adjustments besides polishing some of the bearing surfaces a little. I've had it almost four years now and it works fine.

I'd check the alignment of the shell holder and you may try the o-ring that Zeke suggested. The Load Master comes with one between the shell plate and the retaining nut. It would also be a good idea to run the shell up into the die and then tighten the locking ring.

Good luck.

------------------
Surely we must all hang together, for separately we will all surely hang.

<HKG3>
posted
Well turning the shell holder to the side the shell was tippping and tightening the die while the shell was in seemed to cure things for now. but I like the O ring idea and will try if I have any more troubles.

Thanks Everyone

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another top product from LEE is their trimming system. It�s really foolproof, cheap and practical.

I think I will get a factory crimp die and the trimmer for every caliber I reload. And I use their Autoprime handheld, too.

Good shooting H

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee - cheap stuff but ingenious: KISS "keep it simple, stupid".
Let me add to your positive estimation of the primer, trimmer, O-rings and factory crimp dies the powder measure: it looks and feels so flimsy but throws incredibly accurate charges.

And let me add Lee's book on reloading - a good reading

[This message has been edited by waitaminit (edited 11-19-2001).]

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Then there's the Lee Collet dies. Brass lasts almost forever- and the seating die loads ammo with runout at least the equal of the ballyhooed 'name' brands.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote