New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Presses: Ammomstr vs. Ultramag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Bought a new Rockchucker because the ad said"can handle even the biggest mag. rounds"...wrong. With comp. dies I cannot even use it.
Have looked at the RCBS Ammomaster $139 and Redding Ultramag $155 and out of stock. Is the Ammomaster a great press for big stuff i.e. concentric rounds?? Any others that should be considered? Does anyone have one for sale? thanks guys

Posts: 896 | Location: Austin,TX USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
<R. A. Berry>
posted
Ultraman,
I have used the RCBS Ammomaster to load 50 BMG and the Ultramags. You can get a bushing to adapt it for the Ultramag and 416 Rigby sized smaller dies. I really like the RCBS, but have no experience with the Redding. Concentricity issues are not a problem with mine. That 0.147 MOA load speaks well of the press.

------------------
Good huntin' and shootin',
RAB

one of us
posted Hide Post
It all depends on what you are willing to pay. I have used a turret Hollywood for the last few years. They are being made again and the price (last time I checked) was $450.00. They will handle rounds just over 6" in length and have 4 standard die slots and 4 - 1 1/2" inch slots

Good Hunting
Steve

------------------
Every man dies, but not every man really lives!!

Posts: 439 | Location: Kansas by way of Colorado and Montana | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<jagtip>
posted
I use an rcbs ammomaster and like it very much.I'm not personally aware of any other press on the market that gives as much clearance between shell holder and die.It has enough for the 50 bmg and that sort of says it all.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Redding UltraMag press and love the beast. No concentricity issues here either.

Plenty of room for my .375 H&H and a friend's .460 Weatherby. Frame opening is 4.75" which may not allow the .50 BMG. Best press I ever owned. Like those Redding dies, too!

Regards,

------------------
~Holmes

"Those who appease a tiger do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last."
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<jagtip>
posted
Just checked my ammomaster with a ruler.Window space is about 7 inches.The ram extends into the opening slightly over an inch so there is still nearly 6 inches of usable gap.Hope this helps.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for all the info, espicially Berry and Jagtip. I got more info from yalls replies than from the catalogs AND phone calls to RCBS and Redding. This is truely a wonderful site. Knowledgable posters and Saeed....who could ask for more. Ammomaster on order. have a good weekend all.

Posts: 896 | Location: Austin,TX USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote