New
Find
Notify
Tools

STUCK IN THE DIE!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It finally happened. After reloading for over 40 years I finally stuck a case (M1 Carbine) in an RCBS die.The rim ripped off partially and I messed up the rest of the rim with pliers.

So I thought I'd push the case out with the decapper screw. That tightened up quite a bit before I chickened out for fear of breaking out the screwdriver slot.

I'm at a loss. Is there a simple way of removing the case? Your help is definitely appreciated.

Herb D

Third rebirth of member #117.

Posts: 65 | Location: The State of Jefferson, CA | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It happend to me once as well...

Is the case head still in there? If so you can screw out the top of the die and then tap out the case with a wood dowel...I used a pencil and tapped it with a hammer, finally came free...only idea I have outside of purchasing a stuck case remover RCBS makes them ...I think...

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Herb,

There are number of home remedies with taps & screw sizes that I don't have off the top of my head. These may save you a couple of bucks.....

The best, quickest solution is to purchase locally or order via a mail order supplier a RCBS Stuck Case Remover Set - it works.

Hope you get your case un-stuck successfully.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tap the primer socket for a 1/4 x 20 bolt. Use a socket for clearence, and a flat washer.
Works just like the "store bought". Of course this has never happened to me. The 30 carbine is a real straight case, The pressures between the case and the die are very high. Use Imperial die wax, and throw the rest of the stuff away.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Put it in the freezer for a couple of hours.

Next time, lube the sucker.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
take the die out...
set it upside down
flood it with kroil or brake fluid (case to die)
let it sit an hour
take the step out of he die
put the die back in the press
drop a bolt that will fit into the neck
<BANG> with a hammer
out comes the case
jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
Had this happen the other day. The RCBS die stuck shell remove works good, but the suggestion for a homemade set up will do the same.

Got the shell out and found I broke the decapper pin (which made sense). I have been using Hornady One Shot spray, but may pick up some Imperial wax tonight.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Hawkins said. The last time I had a case get stuck, my pops forgot to change the shellholder from 375RUM to 30 06. Case goes in, and does not come out! I was trying to find the tap and die set, but he was too busy all pissed off beating on the die with vise grips and a hammer before I could stop em!

<HINT> keep the 1/4 20 tap on the bench with all other items needed so you can just do it right then and there when it happens. No time to sit there and get pissed while trying to find the stuff to get it out.

Imp die wax ROCKS! you only have to use the slightest amount. All I have to do is touch 2 fingers to the stuff, and I have enough to lube a 375 RUM for a FL size. The small can will last me forever. BTW I wear latex gloves when reloading, so wax on the fingers does not affect me. Just simple enough to wipe off fingers with same rag I use to wipe off brass after sizing.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If probllem was started by the wrong shell holder, no need for all those drastic measures. I simply raised the press to to the top of the stroke, insert the right shell holder (on the case continuuing to the... other widget) finally pull back down. Some one shot grease wouldn't hurt.

7mm. guy

shoot straight or shoot often.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck with your project. I got a stuck case remover from RCBS when I started loading around 30 yrs ago. Fortunately it has never been used but I still keep it on the shelf in case I have one of those dumb days. It is bound to happen. None of us are perfect.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like most of us who have used a stuck case remover, I didn't buy mine until I ripped off my first rim. Went to the local gun shop and picked one up--the 'smith was grinning as he rang up the purchase. But-he didn't ask why I didn't buy one when I bought my setup. Probably because I was too ignorant to know I needed one.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made my own. I took the die to an old fashioned hardware store, remember the kind with customer service? I got a drill bit, tap, and bolt slightly bigger than the primer pocket. I used a 1/2" copper male adapter as a spacer, and a washer.

I kept it all together at the bench, so I have it next time.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses.

In reading those and mentally gyrating my poor old brain I came to the conclusion that my dies are different from what you described and prescribed remedies for. You meant, I believe, for me to take out the decapper pin through the top of the die and then either drive out the case or drill, thread and then pull it out.

Here's my situation, I cannot remove the decapping pin and threaded stem. The die body is of one piece construction. It does not have the two knurled knobs or nut on top which would allow the decapping group to be pulled out through the top. The only other die in my collection similar in construction is my 41 mag carbide die.

Instead I need to remove one nut and screw the decapper out the bottom. And this causes the rub. The case is in the way.

To drill the flashhole out for tapping and bolt insertion I have the decapping pin in the way as it only retracts up part way. I suppose I could try to pull out the pin if it is of the straight (nailtype) variety. Or, if it is the machined type with integral lock (as in my universal decapping die) then I could try to snip or break it off. Hopefully then the retreating pin and screw would give me enough space to drill and tap.

One more question here. Would the threads in the soft cartridge brass be strong enough to pull the case out?

One more thought, if I just drill the primer pocket out would that allow the decapping assembly to come out the bottom?

I have no gunsmith available within 50 miles otherwise I would be tempted to take the easy way out.

And, oh yes, I was using RCBS Case Lube. Just not enough! Usually I use One Shot spray which has always worked well even for the big .375 RUM cases. Also, I was using the correct shell holder. I had already loaded over 600 cases!

Apologies for the wordy reply.

Posts: 65 | Location: The State of Jefferson, CA | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some brand /style of dies let you remove or loosen xball enough to get out of way when drilling and some dont?
I like to use 1/4 allthread and screw into case as far as I can then install spacer or socket and washer & nut and tigthen down on nut to pull case. Prevent stripping out case.
One other way you can try is using propane tourch to heat head of case only. Heat up case and let it cool for hour. Then heat up again. May take 3 to 4 time but case can be pulled out of die by hand. Just don't heat so much you ruin die temper. Good luck. If it is RCBS send back and they will pull it free.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put the die back in the press (c-press), grab the shell head with a pair of vice grip pliers, and tap on the plier handle with a plastic mallet near the case end of the pliers. worked every time so far.
Mike

"An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a slave", Ceasar

Posts: 211 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hawkins:
I tap the primer socket for a 1/4 x 20 bolt. Use a socket for clearence, and a flat washer.
Works just like the "store bought". Of course this has never happened to me. The 30 carbine is a real straight case, The pressures between the case and the die are very high. Use Imperial die wax, and throw the rest of the stuff away.
Good luck!

Actually the 30carbine case is tapered like a 9mm case and even with carbide dies needs SOME lubrication to prevent stuck cases.

that carbide insert in the 30carbo sizer is a
LONG piece of carbide tube....

When sizing 30carbine I generally lube every fourth or fifth case AND give them all a light spritz of aerosol caselube.

With experience you'll feel the previous case being "tight" before the next one sticks, though not aways.

So even when using aerosol lube on all the cases I'll still have a dozen or so cases lubed on a case pad, and pay close attention to the "feel" of each case into the sizer

When sizing 30carbine brass I keep my stuck case remover set and cordless drill out on top of the bench, if it's out I probably won't need it....

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IT'S OUT!!!!!

The homemade shell remover did the trick.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'll have to try the Imp. die wax.

B]THANKS AGAIN![/B]