Notify
Tools

475 pistol bullets in 470NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted
Hello All,

Does anyone have any experience with .475 pistol bullets, say 325, 350 and 400 grains, being reloaded in a 470 NE double or single shot. I am toying with the idea of making a light practice load with these less expensive bullets. If I can get them to regulate, I plan to hunt whitetails and pigs with them. I was planning on using Accurate 5744. What do you think the velocity max for these bullets are, 1800 fps ? Any and all advice and personal experience would be appreciated. If you have some load data, it would also be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
nitro450exp
PS: Have had good sucess in my 450 NE with 45-70 bullets over 5744

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
nitro450:

I have used the 350 gr Hornady bullets in my 470 over 5744....they worked great. I don't recall the exact loading that got them to regulate in my Merkel, but it was somewhere around 48 gr or so. I DID NOT use a filler as I was told by many that it wasn't needed...and I found that to be true. I'll look for the data as I don't presently have the 470 and haven't loaded for it in a bit. Regulation velocity was about 17-1780 fps. I'll try to look for the data and pass it on.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
i have no experience with the big bores, what do you mean by "regulate"

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the speer golddot 400gr can't be beat for cheap .475 bullets. i have taken game upto 2600fps with them, and no "bombs" like the soft rem 405

m7 .. regulation is the term for the voodoo or other black arts means to make a double rifle's barrels shoot in the same area, it has nothing to do with sightin, rather making the bullets hit near the same place.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
the speer golddot 400gr can't be beat for cheap .475 bullets. i have taken game upto 2600fps with them, and no "bombs" like the soft rem 405

m7 .. regulation is the term for the voodoo or other black arts means to make a double rifle's barrels shoot in the same area, it has nothing to do with sightin, rather making the bullets hit near the same place.

jeffe

jeffe is right if the barrels are regulated properly they will shoot parallel and be the bullets should hit the target on the same plane the same distance apart as they are on the riffle. The sights are regulated to/for a specific distance usually 50, 100, 200 yards.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Hello all,

Thanks so far for the info and advice, I was looking at the gold dots and am glad to hear they do not bomb. I have had the Sierra 300 HP and the 405 Rem's come apart in my 450 NE over 5744, But I was pushing the 300 HP pretty fast.
The experience I have had with 5744 has never required any filler either, but I do use magnum primers.
Thanks so far.
Regards
nitro450exp

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
The speer 400 grains are bonded core-- I shoot them in my 470 capstick to 2200fps and they don't grenade.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote