posted
You would think that the business men/women

among the shooting/firearm hunting community

would see the opportunity to have guys lined

up at the door to buy product, IF IT WAS THERE

TO BUY !!!!!

In my mind I see the movie scene where a very

young Dustin Hoffman is getting a business talk

from a much older man who says to him, "PLASTICS".

But in MY version the older gent says..... "PRIMERS...

MANUFACTURE PRIMERS..."

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Production is going to to the military for the war and what they aren't getting has ended up being hoarded by everyone who is afraid of what the Kenyan Goat herder might do. Given the fact that he has tried his damnedest over the past 12 months to turn this country into Cuba or the USSR, hoarding primers may not be a bad idea.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CAN'T HOARD WHAT YA CAN'T GET. Somebody

should compete with those producing already...

Jack

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Jack I am now getting fairly regular notices from Midway. I got one today for Federal small pistol match primers. I have enough that I didn't call.
You might go to Midway and click on the "REMIND ME" box and they will email you when some come in.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are producing Primers in record numbers.

The problem is that people are buying them even faster than record numbers.

+1 on Midway E-Mail alerts. I've gotten a couple hard to find items this way.............................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advise!

Jack

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From Sinclair's website.....

http://blog.sinclairintl.com/2...imer-availability-2/

Primer Availability

We have had a lot of concerned customers calling to ask about primer availability. Actually, our lines have been flooded with calls regarding the availability of primers as well as the availability of other components. The easiest and quickest way to check on availability is through our new website, whether you plan on phoning an order in, ordering off the web, or using some other means. The following is our view on the current primer situation. Basically, there has been a two-pronged drain on primer supplies for the reloading market.

The first driving force has been the huge demand for loaded ammunition through 2008 and continuing into 2009. The large primer manufacturers like ATK (which would include Federal and CCI), Winchester, and Remington are directing the majority of their primers into loaded ammunition. Ammunition sales are going through the roof as individuals stock up because of political concerns. The huge consumer demand for ammo is in addition to the demand from law enforcement agencies and our military to re-supply their own inventories. I know that smaller ammunition manufacturers have been impacted drastically by the primer shortage since their demands are higher than normal for primers that they have to obtain through Federal, CCI, Winchester, Remington, etc. Many of these smaller manufacturers have had to go to other sources to get quality primers. Because of this situation, some of them cannot keep up with their own ammunition production. Unfortunately, these smaller ammo makers can’t control their own destiny since they don’t have the capacity or tooling to make primers.

I mentioned that there were two factors impacting primer availability; the first factor is creating the second one. Since ammo demand has consumed more of the primer supply than normal, the quantity of primers on the shelf has declined at the box stores, the reloading companies (like Sinclair), and the smaller gun shops. With the fast communication via the internet, the word spreads quickly and the result has been consumers stockpiling and hoarding primers. Individuals are buying and keeping more primers in their own personal inventories and this has prevented some reloaders from having any primers at all. We normally see people buying 1,000 or maybe 5,000 primers at a time, now we are seeing customers buying 25,000 at a time.

The manufacturers are trying to react as best as they can, but their primary driving force is to keep a steady supply of primers going to the ammunition plants because they generate more revenue through this output than they do through the reloading market. A guy from CCI called the other day to order some items from us for his own reloading, and he reported that CCI has been running 24/7 and is still falling behind. They are adding two machines to their line to increase production (I don’t know what percentage gain this will give them). Federal told us a couple of weeks ago to not be surprised if we don’t see many primers from them until the end of 2009.

This is what we know as of today. Our current situation at Sinclair is that we are out of primers but are expecting some Wolf primers of all types sometime in June. We get a few Winchester primers every once and awhile but it might only be 30K to 50K at a time.

Eventually everyone will have enough stockpiled, manufacturers should catch up with ammo runs, and the supply on the shelves will hopefully return. This happened in throughout 1994, just not to this scale.

Best Regards,
Bill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Jack, surf and surf OFTEN. The suppliers are getting primers, they are just selling them as soon as they have them.Powder Valley got 300,000 small rifle primers b/4 Christmas, I'll bet they're gone! The only large rifle primers they had were wolf. They will be getting more.
Surf these
Powder Valley
Bruno
Mid-south
Natchez
Graf & sons
Huntington
Sinclair
Bass pro

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
more primers being made than ever before.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
aliveincc says
"Big Jack, surf and surf OFTEN. The suppliers are getting primers..."

You can bet; I'mmma SURFIN'!!! I'mmmma SURFIN' ad infinitum!!!
If I surfed any more the &%$@ing sharks could set their
meal schedules by seeing me pass through their "turf"!

I see videos on youtube of guys recycling primers!
They tweez out the anvil, knock the dent flat with a
"punch", scrape self striking matches into flakes that
they tamp into the cups, then they reinstall the anvil.

It aint like rewiring a human brain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It makes me mad that the shooters are hoarding, the
retailers are not limiting sales, and the non-shooters are
buying supplies to sell on the net via craig&%$@t etc. Mad

Jack

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw a dealer, at a Pa gunshow, a week or so ago, and he had plenty primers. He would sell one brick only per customer but, you had to purchase another item from him also. Capitalism thrives.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That sounds like Tony of TNT Reloading.

I visited his store last week and he had plenty of powder and primers. He just didn't have the 30 caliber pistol bullets I wanted.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
I'm in Michigan and was at Gander mountain and there was no shortage of anything there. Brass, primers all sizes and brands, powder and bullets (gettin low on 30 cal Wink ). I found every factory round for rifles i own in several flavors.

Posts: 442 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 October 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I believe gander would have lots of ammo and component's as around here they charge about 50 to 60 percent more then anywhere else. we call them gouger mountain.

Posts: 19 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 04 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
Here in Eastern IA, the primer scare is not that bad.

I can find just about every flavor of primer in the three stores I frequent. To be honest, when I saw this thread I was sure it was an old one that got a new post.

Midway USA is very good about letting you know when they come in. Check them out.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hoggunner:
I believe gander would have lots of ammo and component's as around here they charge about 50 to 60 percent more then anywhere else. we call them gouger mountain.

We have a GOUGER MT store in NY. Same 60% markup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
www.eulessgunsandammo.com I'm told has Fed 215s in stock,
and other primers and reloading components too.

I acquired 1000 Fed 215s and 1000 CC1 200s, (for the 500 S&W)
yesterday from a guy who was getting out of reloading. I got the
last of his 215s. I feel relieved. If I can get 1000 215s once every
3 or 4 months I'll be content. I expect I'll be able to do so. Smiler

Jack

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Continent:
Production is going to to the military for the war and what they aren't getting has ended up being hoarded by everyone who is afraid of what the Kenyan Goat herder might do. Given the fact that he has tried his damnedest over the past 12 months to turn this country into Cuba or the USSR, hoarding primers may not be a bad idea.

This is fear-mongering bullshit. The reason we can't get primers is because WE, the users, are hoarding what we can. We caused the run on primers out of our idiotic fear of something that has not and will not materialize. If you wanna blame someone, go take a look in the mirror. As a reloader, you are more to blame than anyone else.

One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
I didn't say they were'nt a little high, I just said they have product. On the same note i bought 4 boxes of Remington .300 mag core-lokt 180 grain for 20.99 a box on sale. Thats a good buy. Just depends what your lookin at. I've saw other items that make me say WTF!

Posts: 442 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 October 2009Reply With Quote