New
Find
Notify
Tools

45 Colt loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for a good smokeless load for a 45 Colt. I would like to stay around 850-950 FPS. I will be shooting a 250gr. cast bullet.

I have tried several loads, but there was so little powder in the case the FPS varied quite a bit, and the groups where not very good.

Is there a powder that will fill the case to the point were you can get a good consistent FPS?

I know that Trail Boss will do it, but the max FPS is only around 750, and that is a little slow for hunting.

Buck,

Posts: 109 | Location: MS | Registered: 25 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
9.5 gr unique

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
this is MY load .. shown only for information, and is certain to be unsafe in ANY gun, so don't use reloading data from the internet.

gun sw 625-9 4" mountain gun
hornady cases
federal LPM primers
16.9gr of 2400
250gr hornady xtp MAG bullets
crimped
right at 1000fps, and a pretty mild shooting load.

might be way to much for your gun.. use at your own risk

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trail Boss works great in the .45 Colt and if fills the case fairly well.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One word: Titegroup

Or is that really two words?

Posts: 257 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
In my 45 Colt loads I've gone to both ends of the velocity spectrum. There is one load for plinking at around 800fps using many different faster burning powders and another for hunting using 296 at the top end of velocities.

The lower end loads do seem to be ok for accuracy and the upper end loads are very accurate but somewhat stiff recoil when using 300 grain pills.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrjulian_1970:

Yeah, that will certainly fill a case. Roll Eyes DO NOT use TG in your 45colt. Way too easy to dbl charge. Trail Boss does very well w/ 850fps or so loads in the 45colt. I also like 6gr of RedDot & 8gr of Unique.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
9.5 gr unique

If you are shooting lead, there's no reason to do otherwise, your bullet should be sized .454 and you'll be right on.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
quote:

Yeah, that will certainly fill a case. Roll Eyes DO NOT use TG in your 45colt. Way too easy to dbl charge. Trail Boss does very well w/ 850fps or so loads in the 45colt. I also like 6gr of RedDot & 8gr of Unique.

The nice thing about TG is that it doesn't need to fill the case to produce shot-to-shot consistency.

If you're worried about a double charge, then no, not the powder for you.

Interesting that all three of our recommendations are less than 1/2 a case full (~.85cc for Red Dot, ~.87 for Unique, and .53 for TG)
6.2*

Posts: 257 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
my load is more than 1/2 full .. and since i use a progressive, I LIKE to know when/if i've screwed up!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My go-to powder for 45 Colt loads in the range you are looking at is Unique. In my 5 1/2" revolvers (Colt SAA New Frontier and Ruger Bisley Blackhawk) 8.5 grains gives about 900 fps with 250 grain bullets, 9.5 grains about 1000 fps, and 8.0 grains gives about 850 fps with 275 grain bullets. All bullets are cast from wheel weights, air dropped and lubed with Javalina. I also use W-231 at 7.0 grains for 850 fps with 260 grain bullets in a 7 1/2" Colt SAA.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use titegroup exclusively and I as you satrted out with the 250gn tips, but lately I have moved on to the 180gn RNFP in 45 caliber as the speed is a bit faster, the recoil lighter and cost cheaper.....with better accuracy.

still use the 250gn tips for hunting.

Posts: 155 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 13 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
[The nice thing about TG is that it doesn't need to fill the case to produce shot-to-shot consistency.

Interesting that all three of our recommendations are less than 1/2 a case full (~.85cc for Red Dot, ~.87 for Unique, and .53 for TG)
6.2*

I don't "worry" about it, but loading on a progressive, I like to see the powder charge before seating. A 1/2 full case is better than a 1/4 full (TG). TG has about 2/3 the volumn as RedDot for the same charge wt. So RD fills more of the case. I am going to give TrailBoss a try. Fills the case well, but it will cost a bit more than TG. Still, powder is the cheapest part of a handgun load today, so choose your powder for performance & what makes you comfortable to load with. Saving 2/10 of a penny is just foolish economy IMO.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replys. They have been very helpfull.

Buck3,

Posts: 109 | Location: MS | Registered: 25 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
anyone else have any new input here, it would be appreciated. I have a Taurus single action. Have some Unique, H110, Tightgroup

Nosler 250 g Sporting bullets JHP

Posts: 207 | Location: South Central Montana | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skidly:
anyone else have any new input here, it would be appreciated. I have a Taurus single action. Have some Unique, H110, Tightgroup

Nosler 250 g Sporting bullets JHP

I don't have any Taurus single actions but would guess it would be a good practice to stay away from any of those loads indicated in the reloading manuals as Vaquero and Contender. My "old" Vaqueros can take a stiff load in the 44 Mag upper range without problems but these don't apply to the New Vaquero and I think your shooter would be similar to the latter.

Again, almost any faster burning powder will get you where you want to go in the 700-900 fps area and would be economical to load as the rounds usually take very little powder. 5-7 grains of these types of powders is the usual load. They vary in cleanliness and accuracy so head to the manuals and see what works in your shooter.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
quote:

The nice thing about TG is that it doesn't need to fill the case to produce shot-to-shot consistency.

6.2*

Yes, but ALL still have more volumn than TG, almost 2x more. Nope TG is banned form my reloading room & my reloading class. It is one powder that should never have been made IMO. Why? TrailBoss was the correct way togo for an uberfast powder; high volumn, no chance of a double charge.

Picture of 2 gun Hoss
posted Hide Post
i was using unique when i started loading,and found unburned powder in some of the cases, not sure why, there was anouther gentleman at the range shooting 45's also and told me to try trail boss, and i did and i like it, thats all i use now, it is bulky, but burns good, just my 2 cents.

Posts: 1 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 04 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what do the factory loads use?