Find
Notify
Tools

Light recoiling load for .45LC
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted
OK, so my daughter swiped my GP100 for her apartment defense gun. My wife needs a revolver for home use (long story, she hates autos) I am a little short on wheel guns right now, so she's going to have to use my Redhawk untill I come up with another .38/.357.

I need a reasonably light recoiling .45LC load, I can use 200 or 230 .45acp bullets, both cast and jacketed, or I can use 255gr. .454s

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated!

Lt. Robert J. Dole, 10th Mountain, Italy.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I would look to some of the reloading tables for the Cowboy Action Shooting found in many of the popular manuals. They usually are targeting some very low velocities, in some cases maybe too low. I would suggest something around the 750-800fps range would be something that could be handled recoil-wise with a shooting of that weight.

Usually small doses of some of the faster burning powders will get you started in the right direction. I would experiment with powders and bullets that are in this area velocity wise and see where the accuracy and recoil end up for you. Good Luck.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would use the starting load listed for Red Dot. I've noticed in my .45acp it has a light recoil and they list them for .45LC

Even my spell checker wants to replace Obama, it just doesn't have any suggestions.
jerry.baldwin06@comcast.net

Posts: 354 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon Trail Boss.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look into the 45 Schofield case with a modest charge of H. Titegroup. I shoot those on my 45 Colt Redhawk & Blackhawk, usually with 200 grain bullets. With the gun weight it will be like shooting a cap gun.

NRA(Life),Veteran, RMEF,RGS,DU

Posts: 49 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
200 grain cast bullet and 6.0 W-231 gives a very light recoiling 45 Colt load which still has reasonable power.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
My mother used to tell me she actually enjoyed shooting my mild 45LC loads of a 255gr LCSWC over 7.5gr of Unique as much as dads 3gr Bullseye with 148gr LWC 38 loads.
These were from a 7.5" Blackhawk and 4" Diamondback so there was some difference in gun style and wt.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe,

I use 5 grains of Unique in My 1873 Colt Series 3 Reproduction..

of course I also use 10 grains of Blue Dot in it..

I pretty much shoot the 255 grain Lead Bullets from Laser Cast here in Oregon...

I picked up some 45 cal Hornady XTPs to play with in it recently... but haven't made it to the range with my schedule lately..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Medium loads for old colts or cowboy loads. Or, as mentioned, use trail boss and that powders recommendation for loading.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39714 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Since this is a temporary situation what not buy a box of cowboy factory ammo.
The bullet is a dead soft swaged slug at low velocity. Those that I've fired were like shooting marshmellows.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Trail Boss and a 200g lead bullet... for about 800ft/sec.

It is a very lite recoil load... really lite.

one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
thanks for all of the suggestions guys, I really appreciate it!

I have red dot, 231, and unique so I'll throw some loads together for a little weekend trial. Unique....that damn dirty stuff works in everything, doesn't it?

Lt. Robert J. Dole, 10th Mountain, Italy.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
8 gr. Unique with a 200 gr. SWC (I use the Speer) should give you a little over 800 fps. It should be close to what you're looking for, and I also find it to be a good light practice load.

Posts: 178 | Location: New York | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote