THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Pistol primers in place of rifle primers and vice versa.

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pistol primers in place of rifle primers and vice versa.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Newbee to pistol re-loading, Oldie at rifle reloading. What are the pressure/ignition differences between pistol primers and rifle primers? Can they be safely interchanged with a reduction or increase of powder? Hell, I've never even measured them are they the same diameters?

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the first thing to do is look at the pressures at which pistols operate. Then compare that with the pressures at which modern rifles operate. This information leads me to think that substituting rifle primers for pistol primers, or conversely is not a real good idea.
Not saying you can't make the swap work. But I wouldn't recommend it at all!
In reloading safety comes first, right?

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Muck, I hear what you are saying about safety but telling a reloader to not experiment is like telling a Democrat to not spend tax payers money. I have dropped the firing pin on primed only cases. The "pop" is not nearly as significant as one from a 209 shot gun primer. I suppose this might also be a good test for pistol primers and vice versa. I was just hoping someone else might have saved me the trouble.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 900 SS
posted Hide Post
I`d get rifle primers. Not that hard to find.

Posts: 408 | Location: Bardu, Norway | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muck:
I think the first thing to do is look at the pressures at which pistols operate. Then compare that with the pressures at which modern rifles operate. This information leads me to think that substituting rifle primers for pistol primers, or conversely is not a real good idea.
Not saying you can't make the swap work. But I wouldn't recommend it at all!
In reloading safety comes first, right?

muck

IU've often wondered at this, as cassul and 500 SW loads aint no 20K loads.. 45-60kpsi loads...

which leads me to thinkin...

which is NEVER a good thing

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not only pressure differences but primer wall thickness is thinner . Going to pierce a lot of primers !.

Look at the amount of powder in a rifle case as opposed too a pistol case HUGE difference !.

Insufficient primer ignition or super slowed ignition could spell BLOWN RIFLE !!!!!!!!.

Really want to take the chance ? , there's a reason they make different primers for different cases !.

It's just not worth experimenting with YOUR GUN or LIFE is it ?. archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pistols don't have enough striker force to reliably crush the priming compound between the anvil and the cup. As stated already the primer cups are thinner on pistol primers and the stronger rifle firing pns will pierce the pistol primer cup.

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In fact I use small pistol primers to load my Hornet.Found they give me improved accuracy. Seems the hotter Sm Rifle primers tend to blow the bullet out of the tiny casework prematurely causing higher Std Deviation in pressure. Also give the necks light factory crimp to uniform pressure. Works.
Can't say I'd try it with much larger case tho.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
often wondered at this, as cassul and 500 SW loads aint no 20K loads.. 45-60kpsi loads.

454 Casull is designed to use small rifle primers.

Large rifle and large pistol primers are the same diameter but the large rifle are about .008" taller, just enough difference to cause problems.

Posts: 353 | Location: Southern Black Hills SD | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I had 3-4000 CCI LP primers and no longer had pistols and tried them in my 7x57 with cast loads. Many tests later I found no accuracy difference and only about 25fps difference between them and the Win LR primers I ordinarily use. Wouldn't like to think of them at normal pressures though.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use the right primers for the round you are loading for. In general it's a very bad idea to substitute rifle for pistol primers and vice versa. Pistol primers in rifles will peirce because they are not thick enough to contain rifle pressures. Rifle primers in pistols will stick out too far, give inconsistant ignition, and cause excess pressures because of their higher brisance.

Rifle primers in the 454 Casull and 500 S&W as well as pistol primers in a low pressure round like the 22 Hornet are the exceptions that prove the rule..................................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
I pretty much follow the rules such as the right primers for the job, most of the time. Some months ago a friend of mine came over to load some 45 acps. Well, he knew the procedure so I did not pay that much attention to what he was doing. Light load, using 230 ball. After he had started I went into the room, he had about 25 or so loaded, when I noticed a empty box of CCI rifle primers next to the press! I stopped him immediately to investigate! Sure enough instead of large pistol--he had loaded large rifle!

So I got all the rifle primers out of the tube, scolded him just a little (it ain't like I never done anything stupid) and got him started back with large pistol primers. After he had loaded a few, my curiosity got the best of me! I took a hand full of the 45 acp Rifle primer loads, and a hand full of the large pistol primer loads to the range and the chrono. I used one of my 45s in case it did damage. What I found was about 10-15 fps difference!! Or basically no difference at all between the two!

I don't think I would want to try Fed 215s this way, but there was no harm done, and not any real difference. I shot the 25 or so he had loaded without any issues.

This does not prove much, and I really would not do it intentionally. But it is one case to add in the fray!

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am always suspicious of marketing schemes. I have often wondered if the primer market was in that category. Just by watching the few post here, the few people who admit to actually having experience in crossing primers have had no mishaps. I am not saying that we all should go and load a bunch of pistol primers in our rifle cases and vice versa, but it is good to know what, if anything, would occur if one was to do so. I think a simple test of loading rifle primers in EMPTY pistol cases and then firing them would be a good start. Years ago, when shotgun ignition on blackpowder rifles was starting out, we would test the difference between the 209 primers and the percussion caps by placing a U.S. quarter on top of the muzzle with the BP rifle held vertically in the air. The percussion caps would just barely make the quarter jump while the 209 primers would make the quarter hit the ceiling. Pressure is pressure. This was a simple and safe test and anyone who knows about modern black powder hunting knows the rest of the story.

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I have never tried pistol primers in rifle cartridges because, as others have alluded to, I thought rifle pressures might be excessive for them.

I have, however, used rifle primers (even the CCI 250 Large Rifle Magnum) in a 44 Rem. Mag. Their use required me to lower my charge of H110/Win. 296 by 1.5 to 2 grains.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Not safe by any means--pistol primers have a thinner cup. That will mean big problems with the higher pressures.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've gotten pressure swings enough to show signs in just switching from std to magnum primers.......................DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Rae, Just read and reread each post. This is one thread where I agree with everything posted.

I've used Pistol Primers in Rifle cartridge "Down Loads" as a Safety Valve just in case the Load became Erratic. Most of the time it is easy to see with CHE/PRE, but having a Primer let go is normally an indicator of some kind of a Pressure Issue.

As some mentioned, the Pistol Primer Cups are not designed to hold the same amount of Pressure as a Rifle Primer. thinner and or softer depending on the manufacturer.

It would seem logical to think it would be OK to use Pistol Primers in anything that has Pressures at or below the MAX Pressure in a 357Mag or 44Mag. However, the Burn Duration is also shorter in Pistol/Revolver cartridges which means the Higher Pressure is not being held back as long as it is in a Rifle cartridge. So, that can be misleading.

When working with my old 22Hornets, Pistol Primers provided better accuracy than most Rifle Primers. And working with "some" Down Loads they can work to an advantage. But it is always best to stick with what the Manuals recommend, from a pure Safety standpoint.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Large pistol primers are a slight bit shorter in the overall length. I used many of them in my 45-70 loads with no problems whatever. Small pistol and small rifle primers are the same length.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
I've run pistol primers in rifle cases and rifle primers in pistol cases - IN SPECIFIC APPLICATIONS ONLY!

Case #1 - When fireforming cases w/o bullets. Load up Fed 150's + Unique + TP wad + COW filler + wax plug. Just did it this weekend to fireform some .375-338 cases. This method was indicated by Mr./Dr. Ken Howell.

Cae #2 - Loading up .357 Supermag and .445 Supermag in my T/C Contender. Rifle primers are indicated in many loading manuals.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was going to post a thread just on this topic, Thanks!!

We have no Sm rifle primers available and I was wondering if a Sm pistol primer could be substituted for the .223 Remington with W748 and a 55gr V-Max.

In the Lyman Manual it says Federal 200 sm rifle primers can be used in magnum sm pistol loads. I am guessing it is safe to use a magnum sm pistol primer in a sm rifle load like a .223 Remington but maybe not.... .

It may be safe to use the rifle primer in a pistol, but not the pistol primer in a rifle.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
I was going to post a thread just on this topic, Thanks!!

We have no Sm rifle primers available and I was wondering if a Sm pistol primer could be substituted for the .223 Remington with W748 and a 55gr V-Max.

In the Lyman Manual it says Federal 200 sm rifle primers can be used in magnum sm pistol loads. I am guessing it is safe to use a magnum sm pistol primer in a sm rifle load like a .223 Remington but maybe not.... .

It may be safe to use the rifle primer in a pistol, but not the pistol primer in a rifle.

I am using small pistol primers in my 223 loads now, based on availability... of course I am using downloaded powder charges...

the important thing is pressure... Small pistol primers have a thinner cup..and they can be pierced with higher pressure charbes.. I had one do so the other day...

using powder like W 748, I'd recommend backing off you max charge 2 or 3 grains and work back up if you feel the need to...

as for myself, I'd lower my charge weight 2 grains and feel that should compensate...

point of impact will probably be lower tho...so that will need adjustment..

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Using small pistol primers in a 223 is a BAD IDEA.

Think about what might happen if you got the lighter cupped rounds accidentally in a AR-15 or other semi-automatic that occasionally taps the primer when loaded. Slam-fires ARE POSSIBLE.

Better safe than sorry. Small rifle primers are coming back into the supply system. I bought 3000 last week at normal prices, the most I paid was 32.80/1000...............................DJ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to know where you got the primers djpaintles.

I'm desperate

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe you'll find that large rifle and large pistol primers have a slightly different depth when seated.

Small rifle and pistol primers seem to have a very similar depth when seated.

Have never substituted pistol for rifle primer applications. The thinner cup of a pistol primer would make it more sensitive to piercing due to high pressure.

I have, however, used a sh*t load of small rifle primers in pistol applications where the pressure will be high and the thicker cup is of real value ... mostly 9x21, Super, and 9x23 that will be fired in specially constructed handguns having fully supported (ramped) chambers. These loads are worked up with great care ... and even then it is not a "recommended" practice for the average reloader.

In general the recommendation for pistol primers in rifle cartridges has to be ... DON'T!!!!

(Happily, I still have plenty of primers as I've never felt comfortable without a backlog.)

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
always amazes me to watch someone talk themselves into psising on an electric fence....

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire's pzzzing on an electric fence?

one of us
posted Hide Post
i wasn't referring to seafire - more the whole idea itself, and it's not just on this topic, although it could be an excellent example.

a dozen loading books will tell a reloader not to do it, a hundred people on the interenet will tell someone not to do it, but if someone gets an idea into their head they will ignore all that and concentrate on the one or two accounts from people who got lucky (OR knew exactly what tehy were doing under controlled circumstances with a LOT of experience) and use this to rationoalize something dangerous.

is that happening here? time will tell....

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got it now.

The reason I was going to ask the question about the substitution was the unavailability of the SM rifle primer. I have a buddy also who told me that the SM Magnum pistol primer was the same as the SM rifle primer.

Thanks for the clarification

one of us
posted Hide Post
personally, i wouldn't do it, but then again, we're not having TOO much of a primer problem up here. i bought a thousand of them last month with no worries and could buy a thousand today if i needed them.

and your buddy could be right, but if it were me, i'd be asking him where he got that information from. even then, i would call or email the primer manufacturer. they are ALWAYS available to speak with people and ask quesitons and will give you the scoop straight from the horse's mouth.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i was testing some loads about 2 mounts ago.. i had bought some new blue box CCI350 primers. i already had some 250s. i picked up the wrong box and loaded some 350s in my .260 rem. when i shot the gun it sounded funny. when i opened the bolt, my firing pin had pocked a hole in the primer.

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote