Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet Seating
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey fellas,

While seating 165 sie HPBT Gamekings in my 300WSM(Kimber) I try to seat .0020 off the lands. To accomplish this I seat the bullet long leaving rifling marks on the copper jacket. I then progressively seat the bullet deeper and deeper until they disappear. I think you all know what I'm talking about, not exact precision but close enought. Anyway, when the rifling marks disappear there still seems to be unusual marking on 1/4 the circumference of the bullet towards the bottom. Any suggestions?

Posts: 40 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
if you blackken the bullet with a magic marker you will see some of it scrape off on the ramp or the neck area of the chamber, before the neck is fully chambered.
make a simple guage from a once fired case by split the neck so a bullet slides in and out with just a little resitance. carefully remove the case from the chamber and measure oal.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On a Kimber Montana it's very easy.
1. Put the safety lever at the middle setting. You can then open the action but the rifle would not fire.
2. Leaving the safety in that position, it's a simple matter of just unscrewing the rear of the bolt thus removing the firing pin.
3. Insert the bolt back into the rifle and try to chamber a cartridge whose bullet you know is too long.
4. Gradually seat the bullet deeper while all the time attempt to chamber the round.
5. When the round chambers, that is your max OAL.
6. Pull the bolt out of the rifle and screw the firing pin mechanism back into the bolt. Again, make sure the safety is in it's midway position. When you have fully inserted, the firing pin mechanism, you wil hear & feel a "click".
That's all there is to the Montana - straight forward & simple.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with hivelosity that it is probably a scrape mark from the ramp or neck area of the chamber. I frequently see the same thing in my guns.