New
Find
Notify
Tools

TSX and suboptimal shot placement
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This past week I went on a low fence/no fence Axis deer hunt in Texas (near Kerrville).

I was shooting my 25-284, and I had spent considerable time working up loads for it.
The TSX 100 grain bullet was by far the most accurate, and the Nosler 120's were only so-so in this particular rifle.

I had a kind of tricky shot at an Axis stag at 100 yards, where he had run back into a clump of scrub oaks where a downed limb hid part of his body.

I could see his head (and rack), the neck was obscured by the limb, and I could see the bottom half of his chest. The limbs formed a sort of window I could shoot through to hit the stag.

I aimed for a point just behind his left front shoulder (I was using Stoney Point shooting sticks), and thought I gave good trigger squeeze.

The stag took off at the shot, slowed down, and after walking about 20 yards laid down in the grass.

I watched him for 10 minutes, and when he kept trying to lift his head, walked in and gave a finishing shot, which ended it

Either he moved forward as I shot (the first time), or I pulled the shot to my right, but the entry point was around the 5th or 6th rib, and exited about 3 inches behind the right shoulder. The entry point was about halfway between the top of his spine and bottom of his chest/belly.

First off, this was my first experience with TSX bullets.
Second of all, I think the performance wasn't too bad for poor bullet placment.
(When I field dressed him my impression was he died from hemorrhage from his lungs and from a laceration from the inferior vena cava)

I have read here how well the TSX did from good shot placement, I thought I would mention a case where the placement wasn't so great.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
From the sounds of it you didn't have a crystal clear view of the deer. I've shot some deer before where I thought they were perfectly broadside, but when we looked back at video footage, he was either ever so slightly quartering to or away. This may have happened to you too and you just couldn't tell.

I'm glad the bullet worked out for you. Congratulations. But, you should know the rule, where are the pictures?!!

IMO, if you hit the animal in front of the diaphragm with any good bullet, you'll kill it.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Interesting side note; its been a long time since I heard male Axis referefed to as "stag" instead of "buck". Is that a Hill Country thing?

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tiggertate,

The term "stag" was all me.
The Texans did keep saying "buck".

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of floridabigfish
posted Hide Post
This result is similar to a buck I shot this past fall where I thought he was quartering away (late dusk) when he actually was broadside. I shot him about the 6th rib back and exited the opposite 6th rib. He went 60 yards and died. For a bullet that supposedly needs to hit bone/heavy muscle to open up, I thought it did very well. The entrance side hole was expanded from hide inward, showing immediate expansion upon hitting the hide.

ps: I really like em too!

Florida...where you have to go north to get south.

Posts: 318 | Location: Pinhook River, Florida | Registered: 27 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Floridabigfish, I don't think the TSX has to hit bone to open. I was never told that by Ty Herring at Barnes anyway.

These things open quite well and will do so in the first half inch of penetration on a deer. At least that is what I've seen.

Would you like a picture?

one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Doc:
Floridabigfish, I don't think the TSX has to hit bone to open. I was never told that by Ty Herring at Barnes anyway.
/QUOTE]

I assure you, the TSX does not need to hit bone to open.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of floridabigfish
posted Hide Post
From the 4 deer I shot with TSX's last season, I have no doubts that they will open up on light/thin skined animals.

My only question now is should I stick with the 140's @ 2850 fps or swith to the 120's @ 3100 fps (both group quite well) ???????????????

Florida...where you have to go north to get south.

Posts: 318 | Location: Pinhook River, Florida | Registered: 27 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What ever shoots the best in your gun.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by floridabigfish:
From the 4 deer I shot with TSX's last season, I have no doubts that they will open up on light/thin skined animals.

My only question now is should I stick with the 140's @ 2850 fps or swith to the 120's @ 3100 fps (both group quite well) ???????????????

How different do they impact at different ranges? If you have already seen results with one, heck try the other and post the results!

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Garrett,
thanks for the hunting story .. I think part of issue is exactly as you described it..."kind of tricky shot" and you hit him a little back...

I would suggest that a follow-up shot would not have been out of order, imho

walking 20 yards and laying down from a lung shot is pretty darn good... that he laid there for 10 mins means he needed a hand to "move long"

I've taken thoise tricky shots... threading the needle, so to speak, and the shots NEVER go exactly where i planned, absolutely any sized branch will deflect the shot... and begin bullet deformation.... it's even possible your bullet yaed and hit sideways or backwards..

Harry,
i think we texans are used to hearing "buck", colt, boar,and dog as "male" descritors....

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote