New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surplus powder question
 Login/Join

<BigAl>
posted
Where can I find information on surplus powder ? I am looking at using this type of powder for the first time and found that I needed to know a little more .
For example , WC852 and WC852f, what is the difference ? The only thing I was able to find was that WC852 was slower than WC852f and it was resticted to machinegun use only . I have no idea if this is correct .

Any general info will be greatly appreciated.

[This message has been edited by BigAl (edited 11-04-2001).]

<Paladin>
posted
Usually... the basic loading info on a surplus powder can be had from the bulk dealer furnishing it ---BUT NOT ALWAYS!!!

Your example of WC852 is a good one: I personally have a lot of WC852. It must be the "slow lot," because it is absolutely identical to H-414 and gives target-level accuracy when loaded with H-414 data. BUT:
other people seem to have bought different lots, encountering much faster burning rates. I suppose this is why you've encountered a designation called "WC852f," as likely the "f" stands for "fast."

What this means is, the sensible loader starts with a conservative load and immediately runs a dozen across his chronograph --and then "reads" the primers and mikes the case-head expansion to compare with "factory" expansion. I'd rely on the Speer #13 Manual for load comparisons, because Speer is pressure-testing very extensively and being very careful about what they report.

On the flip side, not all powder dealers know what they are selling. Years ago, I was sold a pile of WC820 and told to use H-110 data. BAD NEWS!!! I ended up with proof loads in .357 Magnum and a few others. I studied and decided to use Accurate Arms #9 data and lo, WC820 was exactly on the AA#9 mark. Later, I learned from guys in the powder-making industry that WC820 IS AA#9!!! I'm just glad I did not run any of those overhot .357 loads through my Rossi carbine.

Hope all this helps. Like anything else in reloading, if you don't think you know what you're doing, then don't do it. Once you've established a solid basis of knowledge and verifiable information, then go ahead. Carefully.

<BigAl>
posted
Paladin,
Thanks for the heads-up on powder dealers that may not know what they have.
This point is well taken,while shopping around I found a powder described as 2520,supposedly the same as AA#2520 and manufactured in China. I guess that there is no way to check this out other than trying some. I wonder if some of this powder purchased in bulk is of unknown origin an just compared to what seems to be close on the burn rate chart.
In case of the WC852 it is probably on the money,however , my lack of experience with surplus powder makes me cautious.

Do you buy virgin powder or pulldown as this is another area that I am unsure of ?

------------------
Coyote Man

[This message has been edited by BigAl (edited 11-04-2001).]