New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ultramax 223 ammunition ?s
 Login/Join

<CAL9 from planet Fargo>
posted
Greetings. I recently purchased a used Kimber 84 in 223 remington. I am thinking of reloading for this caliber(never have before) and have a few questions about the above-mentioned ammunition. The brass used in these loads is military, marked various dates in the 90s and LC, which I assume to mean Lake City. Is this stuff suitable for accurate reloads? I seem to recall advice to lower loads slightly when using military brass, as the brass tends to be thicker, correct? Is this going to hinder performance significantly? Lastly, I am looking at the 52 gr hollowpoint loading, Does anyone know whose bullet they are using? It seems to have a huge hole in it.

I have fired the rifle before, using Winchester USA ammo, with the 45 gr hollowpoint load. When I did my part, the rifle would put 5 into less than 3/4 inch at 100 yds. Now, my local store is out. I'd like to get out and shoot some more and get used to the gun. I thought the Ultramax stuff would be a cheap way to do so and build up a brass supply. Or should I just stick to the Winchester?

CAL

<Sooner>
posted
I bought a box of ultramax ammo a while back, but mine was loaded with 55 gr FMJ's. It was headstamped similiar to what you are talking, it all shot and was reliable and fairly accurate. As far as reloading, it seems that the cases are heavier (thicker) than factory cases and mine all had primer crimps. These reloaded cases don't shoot as tight groups as do reloads with rem or win brass. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another box, they are certainly affordable, and accurate enough out of my Mini 14, but if I was going to be shooting prairie dogs out at long range I might be more inclined to use better brass.

Sooner

<DuaneinND>
posted
Cal: The brass will work fine for general hunting and shooting reloads. The one thing to watch for is that military specs brass is heavier than "sporter" brass, and therefore chamber pressures will run a little higher with the same powder charge. I shoot alot of suplus brass for hunting and prairie dogs, but reserve some match prepped "commercial" brass for group shooting and informal target shooting. If you match prep the LC brass it will shoot as good as any of the commercial brass.

<Gary Rihn>
posted
I can't vouch for the Ultramax loads, but when you've shot it all up, the LC brass is fine. True, a bit heavier, so just reduce your load a little bit, but like someone above said, the pressure runs higher so a lighter charge will more or less equal a heavier charge in commercial brass. With careful reloading, your LC reloads will be just as accurate as commercial brass loads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I reload a lot of 5.56mm and 7.62mm military cases and some of that ammo is the most accurate I have shot (1/4 inch moa). Also, the brass seems to last forever.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote