THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Is this common knowledge to most of you? I wasn't aware of it.

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this common knowledge to most of you? I wasn't aware of it.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
Bofors powder, in Sweden, makes Alliant Reloader powders 15-19-22-25. They couldn't match 12, 7, or 21, subsequently, some were dropped.

They make some of the Norma and RWS.

Winchester makes some of Hodgdon's pistol powder.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester does make some powders for Hodgden. They're just different lots of the same powders.

Winchester Hodgden
W-231 HP-38
W-760 H-414
WMR (discontinued) H-450 (discontinued)

Those are the powders I know for sure. There may be more.

I wish I knew why WMR/H-450 were dropped. I've used WMR in my .300 Win. Mag. since the stuff was introduced and I love it. It also made a new .270 I recently bought sing like a pro. I ahven't chronographed the .270 loads yet, but accuracy is superb at .80" on the first try from a 1952 issue FN Mauser sporter.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ADI in australia also makes some of the Hodgden powders. I don't have a crossover, but it's been listed here in the past.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is the letter that is referred to in the Norma Manual - any good ? thread but the graphic is no longer showing in that thread. The file was originally posted by Richard Saloom and I saved it. Since this letter was written, I believe Norma 203-B has replaced Norma 203.

Originally posted by Richard Saloom with the letter:
This is a copy of the letter sent out by OWS with my copy of Wiederladen. The scribbling on the bottom is mine.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
They couldn't match 12, 7, or 21, subsequently, some were dropped.

Winchester makes some of Hodgdon's pistol powder.

I don't believe this is entirely accurate. RE-7 is currently available and is made by Bofors. RE-12 was dropped, but was made by Bofors, as is the new RE-10. Hercules RelOadeR (their spelling, not mine, and abbreviated Rx) 11 and 21 are no longer available, and like the original Rx-7, were made in the U.S. by Hercules prior to its being sold to Alliant. Ironically, Hercules itself was a spinoff of DuPont under an antitrust suit that was an attempt to break up DuPont's control of the smokeless powder market. (There's no way to say how many Billions in today's dollars DuPont overcharged the U. S. military for powders in the early years of the last century to help protect freedom. An excellent example of Corporate Patriotism.)

The Saint Marks powder facility in Florida, which may or may not still be a part of the Olin Corporation, makes both the Winchester line of powders and was the source of a number of Hodgdon powders; in fact perhaps all of the Hodgdon Spherical line of powders.

Hodgdon recently purchased the IMR Powder Company (formerly DuPont). Some powders marketed as IMR are now made by ADI in Australia, and I assume that some are still coming from the former IMR facility in Canada. IF some are being produced at the Canadian facility and IF Hodgdon is the actual owner of that facility, it would mark the first time that Hodgdon has actually manufactured some of its own smokeless powder (not counting the Pyrodex facility which Hodgdon either owned or had an interest in. Pyrodex inventor Dan Pawlick was killed in an explosion at the Pyrodex plant, and it was never clear to the public whether the plant belonged to him or to his distributor, Hodgdon.) To my knowledge, Hodgdon has repackaged and marketed smokeless powders made by DuPont, ICI of Scotland, IMI of Israel, Olin-St. Marks, ADI of Australia, and IMR of Canada. If Hodgdon ever marketed a Hercules powder, I am unaware of it.

All this is from an increasingly crusty memory. If anyone has anything to add/correct, please be my guest.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul B

Man I hear you about the WMR powder I have several guns that love it but mainly my pre war md 70 in 270, AA 3100 is a very close 2nd. and will be the powder of choice when my last 2.5 lbs run out (same lot).

Eagles from above

Posts: 147 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From information available to us in NZ (where ADI is the most commonly available powder to reloaders) - these are the rifle powders made for Hodgdon by ADI in Australia:

ADI Hodgdon

AR2205 ------- H4227
AR2207 ------- H4198
AR2219 ------- H322
Benchmark2 --- Benchmark
AR2206H ------ H4895
AR2208 ------- Varget
AR2209 ------- H4350
AR2213SC ----- H4831SC
AR2217 ------- H1000
AR2225 ------- Retumbo
AR2218 ------- H508MG

Don't know if it's true, but that's what we get told by a major importer....

Bruce

Posts: 55 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks right to me.

But what's with ADI nameing their powders in order of burning rate;

spot the odd one out?

John L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They were originally numbered in order of development. You may recall that AR2201 was the first of the series [later replaced by AR2206].

Hence the occasional out-of-sequence numbers, when listed by burning rate.

To add to Bruce's correct list, ADI-made shotgun/pistol powders:
ADI Hodgdon
AS-30N Clays
AS-50N International
AP-70N Universal

And none of the current IMR powders look to be made by ADI. The MSDS tells the tale there. Hodgdon/IMR would be making a selling point of their 'Extreme' characteristics, if they were ADI.

Hodgdon 'spherical' powders are still made by St Marks Powder, formerly a subsidiary of Primex Technologies, which in turn was taken over by General Dynamics several years back.

It's some time since they were part of Olin, but they are still the source of the 'Winchester' branded powders as well.

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
bfaucett
excellent!!

funny thing.. look at the letter.. it's not "reloader" .. its "reloder" every time

worse than me!!

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39691 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gadge:

And none of the current IMR powders look to be made by ADI.

I assumed that the "short cut" version of IMR 7828 was an ADI powder like the other "short cuts". No?

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
bfaucett
excellent!!

funny thing.. look at the letter.. it's not "reloader" .. its "reloder" every time

worse than me!!

jeffe

Well, actually the powder series is named/labeled Reloder. I assume they spelled it that way for trademark reasons.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/products/product_catalog.php

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:
Originally posted by Gadge:

And none of the current IMR powders look to be made by ADI.

I assumed that the "short cut" version of IMR 7828 was an ADI powder like the other "short cuts". No?

Don't think so. That's just a simple change in one part of the manufacturing process. Copied from ADI, due to the marketing success of H4831SC, that's all.

The 'controlled included microporosity', that gives ADI-made 'Extreme' single-base powders their low pressure-temperature coefficients, is a commercial secret that hasn't been duplicated yet, AFAIK. And all of their single-base powders have this feature.

ADI doesn't sell an equivalent burn rate to 7828 here in Oz [it's between AR2213SC and AR2217]. They would almost certainly do so. if they made it.

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMR brand of powders ,marketed by Hodgons now,is made by Expox (sp?),which is owned, now, by the big engineering firm, Lavalin.

WMR was made in Sweden,any guess what it crosses over to?

You can hunt longer with the wind at your back

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote